chapter 8

my first week of my current school was hell. well, that every week but still. i remember it so vividly, specifically lunch on the first thursday.

the lunchroom was crowded with at least a third of the school, as usual. the violent sounds of students laughing and screaming clouded my hearing, or anyone for that matter. and on the one day i didn't bring my headphones? damn.

i sat at some random booth with my knees to my chest. i pulled out my phone and began scrolling mindlessly on an app i can't recall the name of.

with my luck, a large group of boys sat beside my table, at least 7 of them. they all wore shorts and a hoodie with some type of logo on it, basically copies of each other.

of course, they were incredibly loud with their conversation so i was forced to hear them blab about whatever.

i eventually tuned them out at some point, only eavesdropping when majority of the group had gotten up and left the table. only two boys stayed, one being william and his other friend.

"hey, what was that job you were talking about earlier?" his friend asked with a lighthearted smile.

"oh that, i'm actually not supposed to talk about it" william leaned in closer as voice dropped, barely enough for me to hear.

"damn, so that's how it's gonna be?" his friend leaned back in defeat, trying his best to guilt trip him.

"nah hunter, my bad. what they don't know won't hurt them, right?" he nervously laughed, trying to play off what he had first said.

the two boys huddled closer to each other, if it weren't for my close proximity i wouldn't have heard them.

"okay so i basically landed this job with this secret organization, i'm an assistant to like the founder or something."

"dude that sick! you must be making good money there" jason whisper-shouted,

"hell yeah i do, i get like $35 an hour"

"you think you can get me a job there, like us two working together?"

"i don't know...the only reason i got this job was because of dad knows the guy i work for. i think they were related somehow"

"like cousins?"

"nah, in-laws, well former in-laws. they're not related by blood"

"oh, makes sense"

"anyways, don't tell anyone. i could get fired for telling you this. and if i get fired, my dad will ground me for, like, ever"

"oh yeah, for sure" hunter nodded reassuringly.

"thanks bro, i knew can trust you with anything." they both backed up into their previous positions just as the group came back.

their obnoxiously loud shouting caused me to, eventually, leave my seat. honestly, they're stupid for thinking i can't hear. i'm quiet, not deaf.

after masky and hoody ran inside the giant wooden manor, toby dragged me in by my arm.

i was confronted with four people that looked as if they were in some sort of costumes.

now looking back, i wish i could savor the loudness from the lunchroom. dead silent stares are way worse.

"who the hell is that?" a blond boy with a green shirt and matching green shorts blurted out. he sat on the couch with a controller tightly gripped in his hands and crossed legs.

he stared at me with a menacing smile and horrifying black eyes that bleed crimson, his expression not fading.

he must've noticed my cringed look from the sight of him because he further creeped me out by widening my smile.