22. partys over

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

"hell no, why would i go to a party you three are throwing.", kenma looked between you and sanas pleading eyes, kuroo, who of course had been overhearing your begging chimed in, "kenma, its a perfect chance to work on talking to people, you know, like for streams and stuff."

kenma thought for a moment, and just for a second you had hoped he would change his mind about completely avoiding your party, but you knew better than to hope too much.

"nope. still dont want to go. nothing is going to make me want to go." a part of you hurt from that sentence, a part of you wanted him to go just because you were going to be there, but you understood his reasonings for wanting to stay behind. not only was he younger than most others being there, he was also extremely uncomfortable in those settings. "thats okay ko, dont worry about it!" you gave him a half-hearted smile as he nodded, also feeling a slight hurt, knowing he disappointed you a little bit. kuroo just shrugged, "you're missing out dude."

there were times kenma knew his social preferences got in the way of what you wanted to do, and honestly now that you were in university, away from him, you were spending more and more time apart doing your own things. between classes and your own social life, you were finding it harder and harder to get away from campus, and he was finding it harder and harder to adjust to your new life. especially one that was continuously changing with an adventurous and persuasive roommate like sana.

LATER THAT NIGHT...

kuroo, sana, and you had spent the last of the evening setting up in kuroos new apartment, sana had been in charge of... refreshments, kuroo the guest list as it was his party, and you the playlist. the only thing you werent looking forward to was the very real possibility of akaashi showing up with bokuto, who of course was invited. the anxiety of it made you wish kenma was here even more, at least he said he would text you if he changed his mind... which he probably wouldnt. you were preparing for a long night of babysitting sana who tended to go a little overboard, and distancing yourself from your awkward high school situationship. now that you were in university you were seriously hoping to put everything from those three years behind you, but of course sticking around kuroo would mean bringing up that stage whenever he wanted to hang around bokuto, which was fairly often.

"hey roomie, people are starting to trickle in, stop being so particular about the playlist and just throw some shit on." kuroo snickered while he watched sana snatch the phone from you and quickly press play, you rolled your eyes playfully as she sauntered over to begin her mingling. this was her natural state, an amazingly easy person to talk to with almost no filter who just oozes confidence. she honestly made you a little envious, she had the face to back it all up too, you were by no means a party girl, but sometimes you wish you could just be a little more like her. you hadnt even noticed kuroo staring at her too, "is she seeing anyone?" he blurted out, your head snapped in his direction as you held in a laugh. of course he would be interested in her, he was the same person, if sana was a little more academically inclined. he was a handsome, confident guy who was just magnetic,

"when is she not, you gotta make the roster man." kuroo smiled before turning to you while walking backwards to her direction, "i like the chase." you sighed before looking around to find someone to talk to, you and kuroo had similar majors so it wasnt like you didnt know anyone at the party, just not anyone you talked to often. tonight specifically you had made it your goal to not stay up sanas ass and actually branch out.

IN KENMAS ROOM...

kenma stared at his phone screen, it had been hours since the party started, he was constantly refreshing sana and kuroos stories on all social media platforms, watching to see if he could see you in the background. it looked like everything he was afraid of; lots of people, cramped, loud music, and tipsy twenty year olds. like a daycare on drugs. 

it was in the background of one of kuroos stories he saw him... akaashi, talking to... you? he hadnt thought akaashi would actually attend something like that, till he realized that of course he would, bokuto was there. kenma sat up, for some reason his heart couldnt stop racing, cold sweats ran through his body, his anxiety was on ten. what was he doing? why couldnt he have just stayed with you like you wanted? for all he knew akaashi was sweet talking his way back into your life, you already had to work with him and his mother as if that wasnt annoying enough. he was feeling every negative emotion all at once, kenma wasnt a jealous person, but this was something else entirely. before he knew it he had slipped on his shoes and rushed out the door, eager to make it to you. he scrolled through messages to find kuroos new address and book it there.

he tried calling you, every time it went straight to voicemail, he had no idea that you put your phone on 'dnd', no idea what you were doing, or who you were with.

that was it, party was over.