Chapter 03: Cecily Johnson

CORVINA HAWKE

I paced the length of my open plan living room, phone clutched in hand, the blonde staring at me with a wide smile on her lips.

"You've been walking back and forth for the past hour. You know stressing won't bring back your phone right?" Sebastian said, eyeing me from where he was sprawled on my couch.

"I don't know how I could have been so careless as to not check my phone when I picked it up." I ran a hand through my hair, pushing it out of my face. My grip tightened around the device in my hand and I felt the urge to hurl it across the room. But I didn't because it was the only way I could get my phone back.

I had broken into Cecily's phone and dialed the first person in the contacts, someone named BOSS. I ended the call before the person could have picked up though and now felt even worse than before for chickening out.

"It happens. I am sure the blonde must be searching for her phone too." Seb consoled, sitting up and folding his arms over his knees.

"Then why has she not reached out yet?" I asked him, eyes wide. I didn't dare to call my number in case Cecily had not picked it up at the airport and it was still lying around. My anxiety was getting the best of me and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't shake it off.

"Maybe she is busy." Seb pointed out.

"I should try the number again." I murmured as I unlocked the phone and dialled the number again. The call went through and this time, I held my breath, forcing my fingers to stay put and not do anything I would regret.

"Hello?" Someone picked up. It was a man. My heart stalled in my chest momentarily before I clicked on the speakerphone. "Hello? Who is this?" A man asked when I didn't respond, voice laced with a strong British accent.

Sebastian gestured for me to speak and I nodded, clearing my throat. "Is this Cecily's boss?" I asked. I wasn't good at talking to people. My job didn't require me to mingle or network or socialize with people. I did it quietly without meeting people or talking to them and it had resulted in a social awkwardness that made me sick to the stomach.

"Yes, it is he." The man responded, voice raspy and deep. I inhaled and exhaled before answering.

"I ran into her at the airport this morning and I think I swapped phones with her." I explained, trying to not stutter. My heart was banging in my ribcage at a concerning speed. I was scared it was going to rip its way out.

"Oh. I am sorry to hear that," The man replied. He was painfully polite as if he didn't want to have this conversation as much as me if not more.

"Is there any way I can return it to her? Can I get an address?" I repeated the words Sebastian mouthed to me. He nodded with approval when I smiled softly, my anxiety fading a tad.

"I am afraid I cannot give you her address since I am not aware of it myself." Cecily's boss replied. "You could drop by at the office tomorrow morning and meet her there. She works at Encore Ltd." He added.

"Encore Ltd. is it?" I frowned as the name of the company tickled a memory. I had heard the name before. And quite recently. But my lingering anxiety made it hard for me to recall exactly where I'd heard it before.

"Yes. You can search it up and you will be able to find the address." He explained. I hummed under my breath, a bit distracted by trying to remember why Encore Ltd. sounded so familiar.

"Alright. Thank you." Seb gestured for me to say more and I stammered as I forced the next words out, "Have a good night, mate."

My eyes widened as the words left my mouth, heat rising to my cheeks. I was so horrible at this. My brother facepalmed himself, dropping his head in his hand.