Part 19

Chapter 10b

DUKE LETO ATREIDRES-The Duke of Arrakis

"I would win," and those words were said with full seriousness as Leto found himself staring at Harkonnen butcher Inzal Kazab.

Leto's meeting with Kazab was far from what he had envisioned. He had sought Kazab, yes, but this unexpected encounter was a twist he hadn't seen coming.

And then there was the other problem. Inzal was young—younger than he had imagined. His face reminded him much of their Emperor from his youth, and the thought had burrowed its way into his head and refused to leave.

Despite being surrounded by blades from all sides, Inzal Kazab stood confident in his abilities. What drove such confidence, he did not know. Yet as his eyes met Jessica's, who had grown pale and had a worried expression on her face, he knew that he did not wish to find out.

"Halt," he spoke strongly at Gurney as he gave his war master a nod.

"Put away your weapons," he ordered, and with a grunt, Gurney obeyed the order as the guards backed away, leaving Inzal alone, who smiled as Leto pointed towards a seat.

"Have a seat. Let us talk," he offered, and the young man accepted. His mannerisms were quite different from those of their earlier Fremen guest. Inzal's manners were more in line with those of the other noble Imperial Houses, a fact he did not miss.

"Of course," Inzal accepted the offer as he sat down opposite to him.

Inzal's earlier words to him about them walking into a trap and his own values showed that the young man, despite his age, was quite knowledgeable about the political games of the Imperium.

"It was you who had a message passed along to my associate, Duncan?" he questioned, and Inzal nodded.

"Indeed, it was me," he did not deny it.

"Then I believe you must wish to engage with me, so let us engage in talks. I know of the Harkonnen atrocities against the Fremen, but now Arrakis is my fief, and I believe all of us can come to a healthy agreement on certain terms," Leto questioned, as the young man shook his head.

"Ohh, I don't think we can," he rejected the notion, unlike their Fremen counterpart.

"Arrakis is not your home, my Duke. Caladan is your home, your men come here to this foreign land, and they do not call it home. They never will, it is a hard planet, much different than your lush home. This is not your home," and the way he spoke of his men told him that he had observed them and knew what had been going on.

"This planet, this desert wasteland, is simply the place chosen for your destruction, and that should be your main concern," he said, and he glanced towards their Fremen guest, who looked at this young Kazab with narrowed eyes.

"You speak as though you know much about this attack. What am I to think of that?" he accused sharply as Inzal's gaze narrowed.

"Speak carefully, Duke. No, Fremen shall ever join hands with the Harkonnen butchers," he said coldly as he turned towards Stilgar, who added.

"He speaks the truth. We would slay one who betrays us like that with our own hands. And though, different Inzal is a Fremen," he was assured.

"Though, I don't think you could say the same for your household. After all, wasn't the young Duke attacked quite recently," and Leto stilled at that.

Not only did he know of the attack on Paul, he also knew of their suspicion of a Harkonnen spy in their midst.

"A hunter-seeker, I heard, operated by a Harkonnen hidden in these walls," he questioned as he looked at Paul and Leto's fists balled up.