23

Chapter 23

LADY JESSICA

Jessica sat in the sietch and watched as the Fremen treated their injured, and in the absence of Leto Gurney and Paul discussed the condition of their troops, their distribution and treatment.

Yet despite it all, the Fremen had been silent, hesitant, and worried throughout the night. It was only when she noticed dawn approaching that she felt the air shift in the sietch until a message came. The whole was filled with screams and shouts of joy, while others prostrated themselves in prayer.

"What happened?" she asked, one of the Fremen girls guiding her and the other woman who had been evacuated from the city, and she saw her eyes flow.

"We have won," she added, and she realized the cause of the tensions all over the night.

"For the first time in a thousand years, we are free to walk on the sand dunes of Arrakis," she added, and she saw them rejoicing.

Yet she doubted that this was a simple enough victory. The Harkonnens had attacked with their full might, and, add to that, the Saradukar forces. For the Fremen to claim victory, they would have to have routed such an enormous force, and that was not an easy task.

"How is the Duke's condition?" Thufir questioned as he walked to her side, and the question immediately sombered her mood as she shook her head.

"They are still treating him. His injuries were quite severe, but they are hopeful," she answered and the loyal Mentat nodded.

"What do you make of this?" she asked, pointing towards the celebration.

"This victory," he asked, and she nodded.

"It all seems very well planned, my lady. Each and everything had been meticulously planned, and for the first time in my life, I find myself helpless as we dance around in the palm of this Inzal Kazab," he added, his pride obviously wounded by how he had been outplayed and outmaneuvered.

"Now, I only hope that it was wise of us to form an alliance with them because though they may have won over control of Arrakis, I am afraid they will not find it easy to maintain it. With this, they have turned the whole of the Landsraad into their enemy," he said, and she nodded.

Though she knew that Inzal had plans for that, plans to usurp the very throne that had now all the swords of the Imperium pointed towards him. And that she had a rather vital part left to play in that all.

"How is Paul?" she asked, looking towards her son, who was leading the men with Gurney and Duncan in the absence of Leto, keeping them calm, as they found themselves in these strange circumstances.

Yet the men listened to him, respected him, and followed his orders, and as she watched him shout orders, she felt proud of him, proud that her boy had grown up into such a fine leader.

"The young Duke seems to have come into his own, him and Duncan have kept the men in line. We could not have asked for much more of the young lad. He has done admirably, my lady," Thufir answered.

And then she saw the cheer, which had lessened, become defending suddenly as a few Fremen walked through the sietch, she recognised their faces. This was the girl who had been with Inzal when they had evacuated, Shishakli she remembered her name, and on her side was Inzal walking forward fist raised in the air as Fremen congratulated him left and right.

And on first glance, he seemed fine, yet only because of her Bebe Gesserit training could she tell the sheer exhaustion he was in, how the young female seemed to be supporting him as he walked through the crowd, and how the heavy stench of killing permeated from him.