Part 46

Chapter 46

LADY JESSICA ATREIDES

Jessica watched as the ship landed on the platform, Hwatt stood beside her as they all gathered to welcome the Duchess in all but name, her daughter Alia to Summerhall.

Leto was in the garden, he had wanted to come as well, but she had talked him out of it, asking him to rest while she welcomed their daughter to the castle.

Her relationship with Alia was unique, undergoing the ritual of becoming a Reverend Mother while being pregnant with her had taken a toll on her, complicating her daughter's life by a lot. In ways, Alia was more adult than her, born with memories, baggage, and pain of all those who had come before her, including herself.

And yet Inzal had saved her daughter from her hubris, helping her along guiding her through her powers and her complicated memories, allowing her a gentle respite, and though Alia Atreides would never be a normal child, it was a relief to her that she would never be subject to the accursed 'possession'.

Her daughter walked out of the ship, and even at just a bit over fifteen, she looked to be more in her twenties; the child-like features had long gone from her sharp, thin face, giving her a more mature look. An application other than her own Bene Gesserit powers, one that allowed her to cast a more authoritative presence, and rule over Caladan.

"Welcome to Summerhall, daughter," she said, tersely as Alia walked towards her, flanked on both sides by guards. She saw her eyes scan the retinue as she raised a brow

"Where is father?" Alia asked, offering no greeting of her own, a notion that did not go unnoticed by those around them, including the one spy embedded in their servants by the rebellion forces.

"He is in the garden. Come join us," she offered, and Alia nodded as she began to lead her to the garden, under the watchful eyes of guards and servants all over, and more specifically, him.

And she led her to the garden, the atmosphere between them tense and sharp until they came upon a set table in the garden and sat down.

Alia's relationship with Leto was complicated, he could never see in her the child he had been so happy to hear of, and yet this was his daughter and heir, and he was proud of her, and cared for her in his own way.

"Alia," he greeted her as she sat down and the servants left them all alone, at her command, leaving the three of them alone as they exchanged glances until Alia sighed first, and ranted off in a child like voice.

"I am done," she said as she plopped down her head on the table infront.

"You need to come back and get back to your jobs as the Duke and duchess," and both she and Leto chuckled at that display of childishness as she replied tersely.

"What are you talking about, Duchess? Aren't you the evil abomination child that has usurped the throne of Caladan from her aging and weak parents," she teased, and Alia rolled her eyes.

"Anyone who believed that act is an idiot," Alia added, and Leto raised a brow.

"You have just called nearly half of the galaxy an idiot," he added, and Alis simply shrugged.

"I am so done with it all. Reviewing useless reports, checking for rations, delegating tasks, and meeting envoys. I don't want to do this anymore. The enemy took the bait, and now you both can come back, and rule while I laze off," she said as she picked up a piece of cake and popped it into her mouth.

"Maybe I could even Visit Inzal and maybe even meet him, or I could go to Kaitain and meet Irulan. Anything would be better than being stuck here," she added, and both she and Leto tensed at the mention of him. The name had long become a taboo in these halls, the memories of his loss and betrayal still fresh in their minds.