Part 31

Chapter 31

IRULAN CORRINO

The sense of betrayal and loss she had felt learning of her father's actions had sent her into a trance that had taken her weeks to come out of. All her life, Irulan had known of her father's desire for a son, had felt overshadowed by that desire and had pushed herself beyond the norm to fill the gap, to make it so that she could one day if asked, fill the shows of the heir her father so sorely desired.

Yet now she had learned that all her efforts had been for naught, that her father had no desire to hand over the throne to her. And not just that, the order, the sisterhood she had thought her calling had betrayed her in many ways and had thought of her as little more than a political tool and a womb to be brewed in their massive scheme of birthing their so-called savior.

And while she had lost much in this time, she had gained much as well. She had gained family, a brother who cared for her. Her twin's presence, something which she had always felt yet had never truly understood, had filled the gaping hole left by all these betrayals.

She had found a friend in Shishakli, a woman much like her who had given her life to a cause, Inzal's cause, and was a great help to her in these tough times. Her affection and devotion to Inzal were so pure and apparent that she could not help but root for the girl, and if Inzal's current request was anything to go by, he felt the same way about her.

"You are offering me Kaitain," she asked again, finding herself in his solar as the congregation's date inched closer.

"I am," Inzal reiterated as he sat there in the solar, clad in his usual Still-suit, his blue eyes focused on her, yet seeing much more than just her. Much more.

Kaitain was officially the Royal Fief, the place where the Royal Castle was situated, and Inzal was offering her the land.

"But why?" she asked, after all it was to be his fief after he had stripped their father of his crown and his position as Head of House Corrino.

"Because the truth is that the true key to the power in the Imperium is the Spice, and Arrakis being the source of that makes it the more ideal location for a Royal fief than Kaitain," and that was understandable.

"But you are the ruler of Arrakis. You could appoint a governor as father did, perhaps even from the Fremen, and still rule from Kaitain as is tradition," and he shook his head.

"That will not work. Leaving Arrakis would be stupidity, and I already have three planets under my direct reign, which is too much. You have spent your life learning the art of ruling and governing, to prepare yourself to rule after that man," and her nostrils flared up at the mention of that man, a man she refused to call father.

And yet it was true, with the presence of Inzal, she had no more chance of inheriting the throne, making all the efforts and years she had spent on honing her craft useless.

"And now you will rule over Kaitain. It is not what you thought you would rule over, but it is still a purpose, and I have been told that you have been rather disturbed about this," she said, raising her eyebrows.

"Well, it seems Shishakli is quite a snitch," she teased, and Inzal shrugged.

"It is what it is? She wishes the best for you, as do I. That is why I brought this up," and she thought about the proposal, and it was indeed something much greater than she had thought. Ruling over Kaitain would give her both purpose and power, something which she strived for.

Yet she had also come to learn of the cruel reality of the world, and so as she looked up into his eyes, she spoke once more.

"And what would you ask of me in return?" and Inzal seemed taken aback by the question.