Chap 18-

Chapter 18

The Duke Leto of House Atreides was one of the more exemplary lords of the Imperium, he was a just man who inspired absolute loyalty from his men, and it was this reason that the betrayal of one of his close aides shook him to the core.

And as he stood with a retinue of guards infront of the traitor, he found himself questioning himself and much more as he stared into the eyes of the man who had betrayed him and his whole family to the accursed Harkonnens.

"Why?" he questioned, and as he saw the Doctors' eyes scan the surroundings, observing and understanding that he had been caught, he saw him still as resignation registered.

And he saw the doctor's eyes tear up as he collapsed onto his knees, and his voice shook.

"I am sorry, but all I did, I did for my poor Wa..."

"LOOK OUT!"

BOOM!

0000

SHISHAKLI

As Inzal left for the council, it fell to her to organize their forces as they gathered around the city for what she believed was to be the start of their liberation.

There was tension in the air. While they had gathered in sufficient numbers and carried out numerous attacks previously, it would not be wrong to say that this was their ultimate test and that they had never carried out an attack of such scale.

Yet her people were fearless as they sat hunkered down in the specially constructed bunker hidden in a cave just on the outskirts of the city. They had gotten here a day ago on Inzal's instructions as they waited for his arrival.

Everyone was ready, and as she crouched on the rocks, binoculars in hand, looking over at the city infront, silence reigned over the desert planet, with only the distant sounds of the worms' rumblings reaching her.

"Is everything ready?"

"AHHH!" she shrieked, reaching for her blade instantly and spinning it when her arm was caught. Then she realized just who had spoken up.

"Inzal," she called out, exasperated, as he simply smiled at her.

"Hello," he said as she breathed out and let go of the knife as she began to berate him.

"What the hell were you thinking sneaking up on me like that? I could have injured you!" and he scoffed as he raised a brow.

"As if, my dear," he mocked her flaunting, his superiority he looked her in the eye teasingly.

"What is our score in our spars again?" he asked teasingly. She shook her head as she spun the knife in her hand and put it back in her pocket.

"How did the Grand Council go?" she asked as she saw him look into the distance at the same city she had just been staring at with binoculars.

Yet she had no doubt that even without the binoculars, Inzal saw much more than she ever could hope to.

"As well as it could be expected to go, few of the Naibs tried to get in my way, but most of them owe me big debts and would not have dared to go against me," he said, and she shook her head.

"So, you have their support," she asked, jubilant at that achievement and he nodded.

"With some caveats, I do," he answered as he stared at her. Relief washed over her at his words, for she knew just how stubborn Fremen society was and though she had full belief in Inzal, she worried still. Yet she had not missed the rather glaring point.