Part 36

Chapter 36

CHANI KYNES

Chani paced as she waited for Paul to wake up. Each passing second made her question the stupidity of his decision, yet she could do little but pace as time trickled away and she watched the love of her life lay limp on the ground.

And just as she turned away, she saw him wake up, his eyelids fluttering, and she raced towards him.

"Paul! Paul," she called out as he opened his eyes, and she was taken aback by them. They were bluer than they had ever been, much like her own eyes, and as he looked at her, there was a sort of reverence in them that was not there.

"You, you are still here," he said as he touched her face. She nodded and gripped his hand.

"Of course I am," she said as relief began to fill her up, and she took out the water flask and handed it to him.

"Come drink," and yet he hesitated, pushing the flask away angrily.

"What happened?" she asked worriedly. She saw his eyes narrow as he began to breathe quickly while examining his hands and body.

"This is my water. Come on, take a sip," she said. She saw him look into his eyes, and she finally noticed the difference in that gaze. Previously, when Paul looked at her, his gaze was filled with passion and love; this was filled with reverence and longing.

He slowly reached for the mouth of the waterskin and took a sip as she helped him to his feet. And she saw him open and close his fists as he walked and jumped as if trying to acclimate himself to his body.

"Are you fine?" she asked worriedly, and he nodded as he smiled at her.

"Yeah, I am," he said, and she sighed in relief.

"So, it worked?" she asked, and he nodded.

"In some ways, it did," he said before she glanced at her watch.

"It's nearly time for the kanli," and as she was about to move away, he pulled on her hand and into himself as he wrapped his arms around her and buried his head into the crook of her shoulder, yet this was not a lover's hug.

No, this felt more like a child clinging to his mother.

"You have no idea how much me and Ghanima longed for this," and she was taken aback by those words as a chill passed down her spine. Before she could do anything, she felt a blow to the back of her head as she felt her body grow limp, and her vision darken.

"I am sorry for this, Mother," Paul said as he looked into her eyes. There was remorse in that gaze as he gently lowered her to the ground.

"Mot..." she tried to say, but the words did not finish as he laid her down.

"You are just as Ghanima and I thought you would be. Just stay here, and let me handle that pretender," he whispered, and she realized who he was talking about.

"No..." she tried to raise her hand to stop him, yet it fell back down only after a few seconds as he stood up.

"I am sorry, Mother." With that, he turned towards the gathered apprentices. As the last vestiges of her consciousness faded away, she heard the command come out of his mouth.

"Take care of her. Do not let her leave!"

INZAL KAZAB CORRINO

Inzal was used to looking at the whole world. His powers allowed him to glimpse people and places far away, and so it was unique that the eyes of everyone in the room were focused on him as he sat on his father's throne.