Part Six

City lights have always seemed to fascinate you.

Since your youth, you could often be found nestled on the window sill in your quarters at the Jedi Temple either late into the night or in the early hours of the morning admiring the light show provided by Coruscant's towering skyscrapers. You would sit for hours and watch as speeders race by just outside your window. Sometimes you'd be found there by yourself, wrapped up tight in a quilt, but other nights Obi-Wan would accompany you. He'd sit across from you on the opposite side of the window sill, legs tangled up in yours as you both tried to occupy the small space. Obi-Wan would spend all night with his head tilted to the sky, studying Coruscant's moons and the stars that littered the dark expanse. Those nights with Obi-Wan were often after troublesome days, when you needed to clear your head and feel at ease again. Little was spoken about between you both, opting instead to enjoy the comfortable silence of your quarters and the entertainment provided just outside your window.

Now, you found yourself in the common area of your hideout, sitting on the floor while looking out the window at the Mandalorian cityscape – attempting to ease your troubled mind. It isn't helping though, you're not even looking at the city lights outside the dingy apartment. You're too preoccupied with the thoughts rattling inside your head. Whatever this thing you have with Obi-Wan is – this connection you share – it's not affecting just the two of you anymore. Now it's affecting your missions, your orders. Master Yoda calls you both a dyad – better together than apart, but to you it seems to be making you both liabilities. You can't be away from him. If you are, your mind is constantly pulled back to Obi-Wan and everything surrounding him – his thoughts, his emotions, his well-being. But then you're with him and none of that pull subsides. Instead, it grows stronger in his presence. It clouds your judgment. It clouds his judgement. It causes you both to become dangerously reckless. It makes you unable to do your jobs or even stick to your vows. Today showcased that. The mission was to protect the Duchess and now she's in the hands of Death Watch because Obi-Wan couldn't let you go. You both couldn't push your emotions aside for the benefit of the mission and then...

Your hand lifts to press softly against your lips. Just a few hours ago Obi-Wan's lips had been pressed against them in the privacy of a dark passage in a Mandalorian alleyway. That makes things complicated. Not because he had kissed you, this wasn't the first time.

The first time had been back on Coruscant, when you were both just teenagers. You both decided to sneak out to a bar with a group of friends one night. You had all finally mastered the Jedi mind trick – this meant that you could get free drinks, while also being underage. It was already late when you all arrived at the bar. You drank, danced, and conversed for a few hours. Eventually, Obi-Wan, who was satisfied with the number of drinks he had ordered and consumed throughout the evening, grew tired of the crowded bar and blaring music. Right now, he'd much rather be sitting on that window sill with you, simply watching time pass. Weaving his way through the crowd, he finally made his way to you. You smiled brightly at him – you're a happy drunk, something Obi-Wan finds hilarious.

"Let's get out of here."

You nodded at Obi-Wan and the two of you bid your friends a farewell before exiting the bar. You decided to walk back to the temple, not wanting the night to end just yet – that meant you'd wake up with a painful headache that you'd have to suffer through in order to complete your training for the day. Instead, in that moment, you just wanted to enjoy the beauty of a cool Coruscant night and the warm presence of your best friend beside you.

You walked side-by-side with Obi-Wan, reminiscing about your night. He filled you in on everything the boys had talked about while you recited all the gossip you had learned from the girls. And after a while, your conversation dissipated into a comfortable silence. You continued to walk through the city, wishing every night could be like this. Peaceful.