Chapter 12 - Exposure

When we woke, we met with Ian's parents in the spaceship's largest cafeteria where we last saw them and ate breakfast together. It still took some getting used to the food, but other than that it wasn't so bad. Members of General Grant's staff came by to congratulate me on my safe return before going on their way. It was awkward at times with individuals and even groups of people coming by, bowing at the waist and fawning over me. Sometimes I couldn't help but notice the looks I received from across the large cafeteria and the not-so-subtle lean-ins as people conversed together. I was relieved that none of them looked to be hostile or displeased by my presence. They were just curious, and a lot more relieved to see me alive.

I sat quietly as Ian and his father talked about what to do next. Their options were to return to Earth, retake the Colorado Base, make sure my grandmother was still alive, or continue to find a planet for our people and let the Tesh have Earth.

"What do you mean let them have Earth?" I asked suddenly upon catching that part of their conversation.

"Well, it's no secret to us that they have been planning for some time now to take Earth by overthrowing all of Earth's governments; basically, going to war with the human race," General Grant answered matter of fact.

I gasped. "No, they can't. There are innocent people there that have no idea an advanced alien race is fixing to take over their world. Why don't they just go find their own planet like we are doing?" I said in a rising angry tone.

"Because they're lazy," he said, bluntly and disgustedly with a crinkle of his eyes.

"We can't allow them to do that!" I nearly shouted. I hadn't even realized I had stood up until I noticed they were all staring up at me. My hands were in fists and planted firmly on the table. Everyone had a large proud smile, but I was completely confused.

"You are indeed your father's child," General Grant said. "Concern for your people and for the people who you were raised amongst. A true Royal," he said proudly.

"A fight then." Ian nodded his head with a mischievous gleam across his lips.

General Grant stood. "A War!" he corrected with a boisterous shout and smile.

I was confused again. How could anyone smile about a war?

"First, we have to reestablish your throne. Alert all of our people you have returned to lead them," he said.

I noticed we had an audience and my cheeks flushed bright pink.

"How?" I whispered.

"Broadcast and courier," Ian and General Grant said in unison and then chuckled.

General Grant soon left to set up everything while Sophia and Ian led me to some other part of the ship to get me ready. I was so nervous that I felt sick to my stomach, or it could have been the food. Either way I felt green. The long walk didn't help me none either as it gave me time to ponder over everything about to happen.

Sophia took me into a very bright white sitting room. All the corners were rounded, and it had a small number of personal items decorating it. Connected to the sitting room was a nook style dining area that also had all corners rounded. I had a sneaking suspicion that I probably wouldn't find a single sharp-edged corner on this entire ship. Sophia then guided me through a large bedroom, also extremely white but with silver stripes to accent the rooms length, and into a large bathroom. The bathroom was white, no surprise to me, and even the raised tub in the middle of the room had no sharp edges anywhere. A wall length mirror was mounted above a vanity where unique, backless, white seats were placed.