Chapter 23: Why did you help me?

As her face became well apparent, with the light shading properly, Raymond couldn't help but be taken aback by the appearance of such a prominent figure. He didn't know what to do but more importantly, he didn't know what motive the person before him had.

One thing was for sure. From the coincidental help he had received and the fact, that she recognized him immediately as a felon without even harboring the slightest inkling of fear. She wanted something from him and was willing to go all the way out personally to seek it...

"The second in line successor to the County, Elena Cathwood? What are you doing here? Wait, more importantly, what do you have to do with me..." He said with a pressing expression that awaited closely while closely paying attention to any sudden movements.

"Oh ho? To think you've caught on already, I guess there's a reason why Baron Harrison was willing to exert forceful measures to have you brought under his hands... But what gave it away? I thought I had planned it quite well..." She said slyly while harboring a somewhat innocent face.

"Didn't you mention how I was the perfect candidate? It's clear as day that you were reaching out to find me to the point of personally meeting with me. Besides, wasn't it too much of a coincidence to pull me in just when I was about to get caught then?..."

"Anyone would've been able to deduce as much if they have a working brain..." Raymond said, denying the offer to help him stand up and instead got up onto his feet by himself.

"Haha, I suppose so, but I really had no choice, I only caught notice of the news of the order for your arrest just this morning. It was really hard scattering a few of my attendants to locate your whereabouts~" She giggled slightly while continuing to smile straight at the man.

"I'm here to offer you a position as my personal attendant. One that can stand by my side and follow my orders while giving me their utmost loyalty..." She said while handing him a rolled-up scroll with finer details written within.

"A personal attendant? I have to refuse that offer... It should've been clear that I wasn't interested in something like this when I first refused the baron's offer, but I guess there are still others that think I'm willing to just serve under them..."

"I'm not interested so give up this line of thought. The only thing I'll give you is thanks for helping me hide from those guards earlier..." He said harshly as he walked past the lady and towards the exit of the narrow alleyway.

"I wouldn't go away if I were you, it'll be your biggest mistake, considering how you're wanted and all, alongside the ones you're taking care of~," She said and in less than a second's time, she felt a light sting on her neck alongside the immense amount of blood lust next to her.

"What good is it for you to threaten me when I can just slice your head off like this and end our engagement just now..." He said as he held a hidden blade to her neck, making a small cut that cut through her skin enough to bleed.

"Relax, I have no intentions of harming them, I only said this to bring your attention back onto the table... What I meant by this is because you are now considered a wanted person, there is a greater chance for those around to take punishments simply because of it..."

"And to add to that, I've made quite an in-depth background check of you within this town and found that you were taking care of the children of an orphanage despite not even having the ability to take care of yourself properly..." 

"What I'm offering you is not just the position of my personal attendant, but the perks you can reap from it and gain the benefits of it. I can tell as much that you would never swear loyalty to another person and that is why I would like to change my offer to your liking..."