•001•

I was arranging items in the pantry of the bakery when I heard someone walk in

I was arranging items in the pantry of the bakery when I heard someone walk in. Glancing up, I saw a girl with long straight hair, dressed in a polo shirt.

"Welcome to our shop," I said softly. The girl began looking at the pastries.

"How much is this?" she asked, pointing to a chocolate cake.

"500 won," I replied. She nodded, and I quickly grabbed the cake to prepare her order. As I worked, I heard her whisper to herself, "Shit, I don't have my wallet." I looked up and saw her glance at me before looking away, clearly embarrassed.

"If you don't have it, you can come back tomorrow and pay," I offered kindly. She looked down, and I could see the discomfort in her eyes. I handed her the cake and, checking my own pocket, found some cash, which I then handed to her.

"Here, so you can get home," I said, giving her the money. She looked at me, dumbfounded that a stranger would offer such help.

"Thanks, I owe you one," she said, slowly taking the cake and the cash. She walked to a table, but then turned back.

"What's your name?" she asked, though her eyes had already found my name tag.

"I'm Jae-i, Jung Jae-i. Nice to meet you, Ellie," she said with a small smile. I nodded, returning the smile, and went back to my work.

A few minutes later, Jae-i returned, looking hesitant. "I just wanted to say thank you again. Not many people would do what you did."

I smiled warmly. "It's no problem. We all have those days."

Jae-i lingered for a moment, then asked, "Do you work here often?"

"Yes, I do," I replied. "Most afternoons and weekends."

"Well, I'll be sure to come back and pay you. Maybe I'll buy more next time," Jae-i said, smiling a bit more confidently.

I nodded. "I'll be here. Take care, Jae-i."

"