chapter 8: Targeted

It cant be real ? you must be kidding me . 

“What happened, what the hell happened? weren’t you suppose to take care of her “ 

“The karmic monster surprised us, the agents of the bureau present where overwhelmed and retreated with the ore leaving us to fend for ourselves. Before the reinforcement came everything was lost. She was greatly wounded during the chaos but survived. We tried calling you, she desperately wanted to see you a last time “

“I…” Cyrus couldn’t bare his father look, he fell his heart tightened, the call he didn’t pick. his shoulder fell back, tears rolling down his face. He fell like a part of his soul had been ripped off.

“it’s all my fault son, I failed you and I failed your mother “the figure in the image seemed to have aged even more. 

“it’s not your fault dad. Its that of your useless son, If I had more money, I could have saved you from there, if I was more intelligent you wouldn’t had to do that. I should have never come to this life “his broken voice echoed. Each word an echo of the cries from his soul.

“No son, Arkania has always been like this and it will always be. your mother said she was proud of you before she left. I too am proud of you. we could avoid you this life. As long as your living well there. all our effort will not have been in vain “ 

“Dad…I…I need to tell you something. I…I lied things are not going well “he lifted his head only to see the image had long disappeared.

He carried his belongings, roaming the street without any direction. The son hung high his skin dry. He cleared his throat, pulling his cola. His body in sweat, he went where ever his foot took him. Time trickled by, before he realized it was noon. The sky was dark, cold winds whipping from the side.

At least its isn’t hot anymore 

An alley with floating lights to illuminate the area, despite that some areas still blended with the shadows. The err sound of old cans crashing on the ground as they were blown by the winds. He leaned on a juice distribution machine. Pulling dearly on what was left of his mother. An image on which they arrived in city zero for the first time. An invigorating smile on her face seemed to bloom out of the picture. He smiled pulling it to his heart 

“Am sorry you gave birth to such a failure “he said.

Cyrus lifted his head, a series of footsteps approaching, “even here I can’t stay “he murmured. Forcing his body straight he resumed moving. When suddenly admits the darkness, he saw a pair of golden eyes. 

He halted his steps. They seemed to be closing in, so sharp he felt naked. He trembled lightly the winds caressing his back. 

The figure gradually came into view, a graceful figure likewise hiding underneath her black umbrella. Her golden hairs cascading down her shoulders. Her neat and tight dark blue suit seemed to blend with the surrounding. 

“It wasn’t a trivial task to locate you “she said approaching. 

“Here we go again, if you’re looking for someone to cater to your disgusting ticks, I’m out “he said turning to leave in the other direction

His eyes widened he fell a gust of wind brush pass him; she stood once again Infront of him. He looked backward and then forward.

“Listen now.” She said

Before she could finish, he left in the opposite direction, but this time his body came to a brutal halt like a string being pulled on both side before letting go. A palm on his shoulder he fell like a skyscraper pressing on him. The familiar bestial auras enveloping him.

“How dare you walk away when I am addressing you? “She glared. the bestial trait on her face drawing perfectly, her golden eyes flickering. One would have thought she was a mighty lion queen.

“I said am not in the mood “Cyrus abruptly turned back, his face flashing with the familiar bestial traits, almost instinctively she let go, A soft cry as she stumbled back.  He could read the look of disbelief in those mesmerizing eyes.

“The bureau has you marked “ 

Cyrus steps halted for a second 

“They are aware of your non-human nature and they will be coming for you shortly “she said pulling a tissue out of her suit to wipe the hand she touched him with.

Cyrus mind was too messy to be angered by her behavior. “Impossible I am not some sort of non-human “he waved out. 

Could those silly words really have come true ? I did say I wanted to be non-human but I wasn’t serious 

“Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not , their arrival is imminent . Its common knowledge no one eludes the bureau’s grasp. Unless , of course , you opt to align yourself with our cause “she finally said throwing a little card

Cyrus effortlessly caught the card. On it a very ancient and strange symbol. Among the complicated array of seemingly foreign characters he could read a single word. “Bite“. 

“Who are you? how could you know the bureau is after me? and more importantly why are you helping me “He had so many questions 

Their eyes met again; he fell like being drawn in an endless abyss. He tilted his head to the side. Her appeal was abnormal, each time he looked at those eyes he will lose himself. She turned and leaved disappearing in the shadow of the night. 

Cyrus kept walking aimlessly. his mind jagged by all what was going on. That was a lot to digest in a single day. 

“The bites."  who are they?