Chapter 2 - A Shot a Year Keeps the Doctor in Fear

A hand held my own, the rubber an odd form of comfort. I squeezed lightly, feeling like a child bothering their mother in a convenience store. Oddly enough, I didn't dislike holding their hand. Without any form of formal verbal communication, the only way to do so was through action, but that locked the exchange of deeper meaning. Oh, how I wish I could talk to them... all of them. It bothered me to no end. They were clearly intelligent, more than me for all I knew! They were like me, so, so human...

I sighed, soldiering on with a downcast gaze. Here I go again on an internal rant. I promised myself to steer clear of that slippery slope but it just kept eating away at my mind! Walking down a corridor, holding the friendly giant's hand, letting them lead me to wherever; it wasn't real. It couldn't be, I wished. Nothing personal against the beings in this facility, but I much rather be back home.

I supposed I could keep reflecting upon everything that happens, too much food for thought, but such is America. "Was I in America?" I muttered, looking up at the giant. They hadn't changed besides one bit; a green badge was on the left side of the chest, its shape a simple five-pointed star. Its true meaning will remain a mystery for a long time, but logic nudged that it had something to do with me.

Rounding another corner, our footfalls echoed throughout the dull walls, no other sound broke our waves. What was the time of day? Lunch break? Too easy. Unlike the first day here, which was full of awkward, frightening fun, the number of the yellow suits has dropped to extinction level threat. I saw five or ten of them every day at minimum, but that was nothing compared to the hundreds, yes, hundreds of aliens practically stalking me like... like... prey.

I was about to face the giant but swiftly decided against it, reaching a compromise by keeping my eyes forward. Don't think about it, I reminded myself. As long as I'm with them, everything is fine. That was true. Despite the volatile situation, as long as I went along with whatever my personal hazmat suit wanted, no harm would come to me. Screams were shrieked, nonsense was yapped, hidden eyes dug into my very soul, but nothing happened... and I hoped nothing would. I shouldn't fear them. How would I fare in their shoes? Yes, yes. Therefore, I had to remain calm, let the tides do their thing and smile.

Suddenly, I was yanked back. They stopped and hadn't let go. I opened my mouth to inquire but shut it halfway since there was no point. Pesky barrier, I will overcome you! While I was wondering what we were doing in a seemingly random spot, the giant was searching their person for something. That was when I saw it, a coincidence too great to be one; the red cross. I didn't doubt any person in the world didn't know what it meant, it made sense that the time had come for an inspection of sorts, a welfare check.

Some days ago, I was given decent accommodations, nothing spectacular, just the necessary basics. Not once was I probed or bothered, the major events that took place were the meals and a nice, warm shower, one that was within my room- my? I... guess it was mine... for now.

Raising their hand, between an index and a ring was a card, the black magnetic line was the key to every door. Yeah, why should I be scared? Nothing bad has happened yet, so there was no reason to be suspicious! I rationalized. Swiping the card in a reader on the wall right to the door, a thought struck me; if this was some sort of medical center, what about other patients?

I didn't have the time to continue that line as they pulled me into the room, the door automatically closing behind me. Leading the way, I looked each and every way, many new details to memorize and analyze. The floor was a reflective surface so clean you could eat off of it, not that you should. We arrived at our destination; a cubicle occupied by another suited alien, though this one wore a white lab coat over their person.