Chapter 1

Meredith Grey was a talented surgeon, known for her calm under pressure and keen intelligence. Her life was devoted entirely to medicine, and she carefully avoided anything that could distract her attention from her career. From Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, where she practiced her talents, she stayed away from the drama and romance that always seemed to find its way into the clinical hallways.

One morning, as she went to the break room for a needed dose of caffeine before her first surgery, she noticed an unusual restlessness. Nurses whispered and giggled, stealing glances toward a corner of the room. Intrigued, Meredith walked towards the source of the excitement and saw a casual-looking man leaning against the counter.

The man was tall, with slightly wavy brown hair and a smile that looked like it could melt ice. His blue eyes sparkled with a mischievous glint and he seemed perfectly aware of the effect he had on the assembly. Meredith recognized him immediately: Derek Shepherd, an internationally renowned neurosurgeon, recently transferred to Grey Sloan Memorial.

Derek turned to Meredith, his smile widening when he saw her. "Doctor Grey, I assume? I'm Derek Shepherd, but everyone calls me McDreamy."

Meredith raised an eyebrow, unimpressed by the pretentious nickname. "McDreamy, really? Are you giving each other nicknames now?"

Derek laughed softly. "I didn't choose that nickname, but it seems to follow me everywhere. Nice to meet you, Meredith."

She nodded, determined not to be charmed by this devastating smile. "Likewise, Dr. Shepherd. If you'll excuse me, I have an operation to prepare for."

Derek watched Meredith walk away, his interest piqued by this woman who seemed immune to his charms. He was used to women falling for him at first sight, but Meredith Grey was different. She was resolute, focused, and clearly unimpressed by the smooth talkers.

The days passed and Derek did his best to cross paths with Meredith at every opportunity. He made sure to take her coffee breaks at the same time as her, help her with her most complex surgical cases, and even compliment her on her skills. Yet Meredith remained distant, polite but cold.

One day, as they finished a long surgery together, Derek tried a new approach. "Meredith, I heard about a new restaurant in town. How about we go there tonight?"

She looked at him, her gray-blue eyes piercing. "Derek, I know what you're trying to do. You think I'll succumb to your advances like everyone else, but I'm not interested in ladies' men."

Derek was taken aback by her frankness. "I'm not a ladies' man, Meredith. I'm interested in you, honestly."

She shook her head. "Prove it, then. Show me you're not like the rest."

Derek smiled, accepting the challenge. "Okay, Meredith. I'll show you that you can trust me."

The weeks that followed were a real game of cat and mouse. Derek continued to woo her with little touches, sweet words and acts of kindness. He invited her to work outings, offered her coffee during her night shifts, and supported her in her moments of doubt. But Meredith remained on her guard, not wanting to give in so easily.

Their dynamic began to attract the attention of their colleagues, who watched with amusement as Derek's persistent attempts to win Meredith's heart. Most thought it was only a matter of time before she gave in, but those who knew Meredith knew she was tenacious and hard to impress.

××
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Feel free to tell me in comment. If you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know, I will try to include them.