Chapter 5

The weeks passed and Derek continued to prove himself not only as a colleague, but as a friend. Meredith went through tough times, patient losses that affected her deeply. Derek was always there, offering a shoulder to lean on.

One particularly trying night, Meredith lost a young patient despite her best efforts. She collapsed in the break room, tears flowing freely. Derek found her there, broken with grief.

Wordlessly, he sat down next to her and gently took her in his arms. Meredith, too exhausted to resist, let herself go, finding unexpected comfort in Derek's presence.

"I'm here, Meredith," he whispered. "I'm here for you."

This moment of shared vulnerability strengthened their bond. Meredith realized that Derek was not only a persistent suitor, but also a true friend she could count on.

Little by little, Meredith began to lower her defenses. She accepted Derek's invitations more readily, whether it was for coffee, a walk, or just spending time together after work. Their relationship was evolving from a simple friendship to something deeper and more complex.

Derek, for his part, always respected Meredith's boundaries. He never pushed too hard, preferring to give her time to come to him. This patient and respectful approach was slowly winning Meredith's heart.

However, despite the progress, Meredith remained skeptical. She had seen too many relationships fail, too many hearts broken, to let herself go completely. Cristina, ever the voice of cynical reason, never failed to remind her of this.

"You know, Grey, Shepherd seems good, but men can change. And not always for the better."

"I know, Cristina," Meredith replied. "But there's something about him... I don't know. Maybe he's different."

"Maybe," Cristina agreed. "But don't let your guard down."

---

Derek, for his part, continued to prove himself worthy of Meredith's trust. He encouraged her in her career, supported her in her difficult decisions, and shared with her moments of joy and sorrow.

One day, while they were chatting in the break room, Derek proposed an idea. "How about we work on a project together? A paper on our latest research. I think it would be great to combine our expertise."

Meredith nodded, intrigued. "That's a good idea. Let's work on it."

The joint project became another opportunity for them to bond. They spent evenings discussing, writing, debating ideas, and refining their paper. Their collaboration strengthened their mutual respect and friendship.

---

One evening, after a long day at work, Derek invited Meredith to dinner again. This time, it was not at a restaurant, but at his home. He had prepared a simple but delicious meal, showcasing his cooking skills.

"I wanted to thank you for everything," Derek said as he served dessert. "For your help, your support, and especially for your patience with me."

Meredith smiled, touched by his words. "Thank you, Derek. I have to admit, you've come a long way since you started."

They spent the evening talking, laughing, and sharing stories. The barrier that still separated Meredith from Derek seemed to break down. Perhaps in the way you least expect?