Chapter 43: Ymir's choice

Moblit and his squad rode through Ragako, perplexed about what happened there. Dismounting their horses, the duo began walking through the village to gather any info they could find.

Moblit: The report was right, the entire village was destroyed. There's no blood or bodies to be found.

Scout: It's Erie. Still, maybe they got out? It's not unheard of.

Moblit: In theory I suppose, but then the question becomes why Titans would smash empty houses. It doesn't make sense. What's more, how far were they hoping to get by leaving their horses behind?

Scout 1: Good point. So what do you think happened?

Before Moblit could respond, one of the scouts he rode in with suddenly appeared, clearly out of breath.

Scout 2: Moblit, I found it! Come look!

The group followed the second scout as he led them to the ruins of Conny's house. All of them were astonished at what they were seeing. Just like the report said, a Titan with scrawny legs was lying face up with its head titled back. Its eyes seemed to stare into their very souls as it attempted once again to give in to its instincts.

Moblit: There you are.

The group stared at the Titan, wondering how it had gotten there when another scout appeared at Moblit's side.

Scout 3: Sir, you should see this.

The scout handed Moblit a framed picture of two people.

Moblit: Conny Springer's parents I presume?

Scout 3: That's very likely.

Suddenly, the Titan began trying to move after hearing Conny's name. It struggled to move its arms as if reaching out to the scouts standing in front of it. Once it stopped struggling, Moblit reached down to pick up the portrait he'd dropped when all of a sudden, he gasped in shock. The Titan and the woman in the picture looked practically identical.

Moblit: What the hell is going on here?

(Forest of Giant Trees: Y/n pov)

I stared intently at Reiner and Bertholdt while they realized the time had run out. If they wanted to escape then they couldn't wait any longer. 

Bertholdt: Talk to me Reiner, what are you right now?

Reiner: A warrior, relax.

Bertholdt: Do you think it's wise for us to trust Ymir when she devoured Marcel?

Reiner: Sure. Don't you see? We have a handle on her motives. When she turned human again, odds are she wandered around aimlessly only caring about herself. But then Krista came into the picture and she's the kind of girl who can change your whole world. We need her because her family is an important pillar within the church. Plus, suppose Y/n isn't who we think he is? If that's true, then our job won't be over. If it comes to that, having Krista will make the search a lot easier.

Y/n(in mind): What are they talking about up there? The scouts are closing in and they're just standing there!

Bertholdt: Please, let's just be done. Next time we'll take all three. Annie, Krista, and that. it'll be clean and simple. Then we won't have to come here anymore. 

Reiner: Yeah, then we'll have completed this damn mission. Just do me a favor. Once we're home, you should tell Annie how you feel about her.

Bertholdt(shocked): What's that supposed to mean?