Chapter Fifteen: Baby for Two

"There's defiantly a baby in there!" Dr.Quinn said excited for me. I sat on the table frozen. I am carrying my ex-boyfriends child around. Things raced around in my mind. "Congrats Amber!" Sophie told me grabbing my arm. We talked for a bit with Dr. Quinn. When Sophie finally left I changed out of gown I was in and changed back into my regular clothes. I walked out of the hospital with Sophie by my side. I didn't say much I was nervous. Raising a baby on my own and also having a new job that requires me to travel is crazy. I wanted to cry. I noticed something when Sophie was driving she turned the wrong way. "You missed the turn to go to your apartment" I told her looking out the window. "I know but, you need to tell Mason the news." Sophie said as we pulled into the parking lot of Masons apartment. "No thanks! I am fine." I told her upset. "Go now!" She demanded pointing to his door. I got out of the car knowing I could not make Sophie change her mind. I walked up to his apartment and knocked on the door. "Amber" He said answering the door. "We need to talk!" I said. "Okay" Mason answered. "I am having a baby and your the father." I blurted out. It made no sense to try and hide it from him so I told him how it was. "Are you joking?" He asked with a confused and puzzled look. This made me super upset. "No I am not!" I almost yelled. "Okay um...so should we get back together?" Mason asked. "No you dumped me" I said raising my voice. "Well your going to give me some money for the baby right?" I asked frustrated. "Yeah I guess" Was all Mason said. "Good" I replied and left. I was so mad at him. I stormed out to Sophie's car. I got in and told her everything he had said to me. "Wow" Sophie said shaking her back and forth. "I don't hate many people but, I defiantly hate him." I told Sophie as she started to drive again. "You should totally hate him for sure. I can't believe he didn't even really care." Sophie told me as we pulled up in front of her apartment. "I know it wasn't what I thought would happen." I told her getting out of the car. "I feel so bad sending in a job application with out your permission and now this all happens I feel terrible." Sophie told me unlocking her apartment door. "It's fine I will travel to a few places maybe and then get some money and then have the baby." I told her like it would be easy. "You make it sound fine but, it won't be. I would know." Sophie told me. "How do you know your only a year older then me? You don't have any kids." I told her lying down on my air mattress and texting my parents to tell them what happened. "I do have a child." Sophie confessed. "What? Sophie I am so sorry for saying that." I said lifting my body off the air mattress and I gave her a hug. "It's really okay. I was sixteen when I had him. His name is Will. He's only four. He lives with my parents but, he is coming to live with me soon." She told me very excited. "Wow that's amazing!" I told her super excited for her. "Yeah I miss Will with all my heart. You will be a good mother." She said putting her hand on my shoulder. Sophie then got up and walked over to her tiny kitchen and said "Would you like some coffee?" I thought about it and then said "Yes please". It was so hard to take in a new baby on the way and a new job life was going to be crazy but, the new job will make more money so I can buy my own apartment and stuff for the baby. One job was not going to make me enough money to support a child or myself. I need another job and I needed to find one quick before I am unable to work anymore. While Sophie brewed some coffee I sat on the air mattress and looked up jobs in the area that had the highest pay but didn't require me to work all day. I saw that Paige's Pet Store was hiring two positions and she only needed someone to clean the cages or someone to unload the deliveries. I decided cages would be better because I am not as strong and I remembered walking in there, there weren't many cages. It made okay money. I could work here too. It was a night job too. Thats even better because I could be a journalist all day and then at night I could clean cages. Of course I wouldn't always be able to work since journalists travel but, for now it would do. "I am going to go on a walk." I told Sophie. "But, what about your coffee?" Sophie asked me looking towards me. "Oh yeah I forgot" I said to her. "Here I will put it in a mug with a lid." She told me. "Thanks" I said to her.

I walked out of the apartment and down the stairs and headed out for Paige's Pet Store. While I was walking I saw Masons Car drive past me. His car then stopped and started to come backwards. Mason rolled the window down "Hey I have some money for you it's not much right now but it's all I can spare. I was going to go to your apartment but, I saw you walking." He said and handed me the money. I looked at it there was only twenty dollars. At least he tried but still twenty dollars wasn't going to cut it. "Thanks" I told him a little bit annoyed. Maybe, if he sold his car and got a smaller one then we would have a lot more money. "I am getting another job so I can help out." Mason told me looking at me. "Me too" I told him and started walking away. I heard him roll up his window and drive away. It took me thirty minutes but, I finally made it to Paige's Pet Store. I walked in and Paige was there behind the counter. "Hi, Paige I was wondering if you still needed someone to clean the cages for you?" I asked her. She looked at me and smiled. Some dogs started to bark. "I do are you interested?" She asked me. "Yes I am" I told her. "Well then you are hired." She told me.