𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐬𝐡 𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠

MADELINE's POV:after i had gotten back, monty met me at the entrance and immediately ushered me to the dropship

MADELINE's POV:
after i had gotten back, monty met me at the entrance and immediately ushered me to the dropship. he had finally finished fixing one of the wristbands and said that everything was ready to go. he let jasper do the honors, connecting a short red wire to a port in the bracelet. on contact, it sparked and ignited a small flame. we all jumped back, shielding ourselves from the wires.

"i think we just fried all the wristbands," monty concluded glumly. he slouched backwards, staring at his failed project miserably.

the ark definitely wouldn't be coming down now, especially if they thought we had all just died.

jasper stepped away and went to go sit against a wall. i followed him, hoping that he didn't think this had been his fault. he had listened to monty's directions exactly; and there had been no way of knowing what would happen.

"sit there at your own risk," he said as i crouched down to his level. "i think i might be cursed."

i smiled. "then call me a risk taker." i paused. "and jasper, your not cursed."

"unlucky then."

"no," i protested. "brave."

he scoffed warily. "brave? for getting my face bashed in and for ruining any chance of contact with the ark?"

"no. for standing up for a bully, and trying to help everyone," i fibbed slightly.

"yeah, and failing both times." his black hair dangled over his eyes as he spoke.

"i didn't see anyone else step up," that was the truth. "did you? and i don't care how things turned out. you were brave to try. and bravery is always rewarded." i smiled after finishing my small speech.

"not in my case," he stated as i moved closer to him. i leaned in, his eyes widening as i did so. i made a quick move for the side of his face, pressing my lips quickly to his right cheek. after pulling away, i smiled slightly.

"what was that for?" he asked.

hoping that he didn't get the wrong idea, i patted the side of his arm. "just to let you know how good you're doing down here." i began to get up, monty staring at us as i did so. i left the dropship quietly, not saying another word to either of them.

-

i stared out at the starry sky. i was reminded of charlotte, and the way that we had snuggled together talking about the ark. i shook my head, willing the thoughts of the dead to leave. wells would have told me to not worry about him, that he was fine. and i was determined to believe that he was.

suddenly, something began to blink against the dark blue. it seemed to be moving fast, but wasn't big enough to make out. a shooting star, i told myself. i instantly remembered finn telling me that people used to wish on them in the stories he read. i closed my eyes, wishing for murphy to be okay. and for someone else to be too, though i shouldn't have been reminding myself of that either.