𝟏𝟒.

__________________
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

THE DAY OF 12 SEPTEMBER IN LONDON was perfectly bright and pleasant, with stunning blue skies and birds that seemed to be singing inside Victoria's mind non-stop. In her opinion, all this was happening because it was Jill's wedding day, the sweetest, most gentle person she had ever met.

Birds or no birds, everyone in the Fernsby household knew that it had long been the most eagerly awaited day of Jill's life, of course, and also of the other two women. The Kirby's annual income in pounds didn't matter, but Jill's complete and hopefully distant happiness did.

Seeing that her greatest dream was coming true, Victoria tried to cover up the agonising feelings that bubbled up inside her, telling herself that the feeling that Jill's wedding wasn't her complete happiness was only temporary, as were the tears that insisted on welling up in the corners of her eyes—despite the efforts she made to contain them.

In reality, it wasn't as if she was jealous of Jill or anything like that, but because, as frightening as it was, Victoria was denying herself her own happiness.

Putting aside the guilt that wouldn't help, Victoria put on her forest green dress and got ready to see the bride and give her her wedding present, something unconventional.

Of course, she was going to break a few traditions by not giving jewellery or a bouquet of flowers, because she didn't want her present to be forgotten in a corner or lost on the way to the house where Jill and Harry would live.

Jill's room was abuzz. Glinda and the designer who had created her dress moved around the bride, attentive to every detail of her outfit. Victoria smiled proudly as she saw the glowing smile that danced across the younger woman's face.

"Oh, Victoria!" Exclaimed Jill, turning round brusquely, and in a way ruining the painstaking work the other women were doing. "You look exquisite!"

"That's nothing, you do!" Victoria replied, noticing how perfect the high was.

"What have you got there?" Jill asked, looking at the parcel the older woman was carrying.

Victoria wriggled awkwardly, demonstrating that she wanted to show the present to her cousin alone.

"Maggie, why don't we leave you two alone for a while?" Glinda suggested to the fashion designer.

"Of course! I'll be back soon." Nodded the woman, leaving the place with Glinda.

As soon as they were through the door, Victoria carefully placed the parcel on Jill's bed.

"I hope you like it," she said simply, despite her extreme eagerness to see the younger woman open the parcel.

Jill gazed rapturously at the brown paper and untied the white ribbon that held it together. The parcel fell apart, revealing a silver frame and the rest of its contents as the girl finished opening it.

It was a painting showing a couple, not just any couple, but Jill and Harry in front of a lake, holding hands, with their backs to the viewer.

The girl didn't know it, but her cousin had worked hard on it, spending three weeks painting it, paying attention to every detail.

"Wow!" Jill exclaimed, sighing. "It's us!"

"It was my intention... to paint you," Victoria commented, wondering if the younger girl had liked it.

A silence fell between them as Jill admired the painting without saying a word.

"It's the most beautiful thing anyone has ever done for me. You're a true artist," said Jill calmly, who suddenly seemed to have swallowed all the words she usually poured out. Jill embraced Victoria in a quiet hug, smiling non-stop.