2.

Manhattan, New York
Monday, Aug. 26

Lauren was like a mosquito — very annoying, and very hard to get rid of.

Onika couldn't understand why her best friend chose Monday of all days to show up and disrupt her peace, but she was already over it, and it was barely ten o'clock in the morning. Mondays were her self care days. While the rest of the world woke up early and complained about how much they hated the dreadful day, Onika preferred to sleep in and enjoy the view of the busy city from her Manhattan penthouse bedroom. No work, no emails, no meetings. Mondays were perfect.

"Lo, I would much rather be asleep right now than to be hearing your big mouth this early in the morning," Onika grumbled from underneath the thick comforters of her king sized bed.

"Nic, I'm serious! You know I never ask you for favors. This is serious," Lauren whined like a child.

Onika sighed, pushing the covers off of her face. "This favor can't wait until tomorrow when I'm in my office?"

"No, because I'm your best friend, not one of your clients," Lauren said with an eye roll, climbing into the large bed.

She laid on top of the comforter and Onika immediately frowned, looking over to make sure Lauren hadn't gotten into her bed with her shoes on. Seeing that she was dressed casually in a nice athletic set without her shoes on, Onika relaxed a little.

"I hope you didn't climb your yellow ass into my bed after being at the gym."

"I was actually on my way to my pilates class, smartass. I remembered I needed to stop by here first, though. Please, please, pleaseeee, I need a huge favor! I promise I will never ask you for anything ever again," Lauren begged, giving Onika her infamous puppy dog pout.

Onika laughed, finally sitting up. She knew Lauren better than she knew herself, and she always knew when she was lying. The pair had been as thick as thieves since they were in elementary school, and nothing about Lauren had changed.

"Fine. As long as you promise to get out of my house afterwards," Onika said.

"You don't gotta treat me like a booty-call, Nic. That's not cute," Lauren replied, nudging her smaller best friend. "This is important, though! I know you looove helping people, and I have a potential new client for you."

Onika immediately smacked her lips, lying back down.

"If it has anything to do with a charity organization, my answer is no. I'm all booked up with nonprofits, fundraisers, and other events. I've used the entirety of my end-of-the-year budget and cannot make any adjustments to it," she said seriously.

"It's not a company, nor does it have anything to do with hosting or funding an organization. I have a tenant that I'm really worried about, Nic," Lauren frowned.

"Lo..."

Lauren looked over. "I know, but hear me out! She's super young... I don't even think she's eighteen yet, but she has a daughter and you know how I get when kids are involved. She's at risk of being put out on the streets, Nic. I keep imagining myself in her shoes because her daughter is around Kameron's age, and it breaks my heart to even think about a child that young and a teen mom being on the streets."

Onika stayed silent as she processed the information. She rarely took on personal cases, but instead funded organizations that helped more than just one person. There was the occasional scholarship here and there awarded to one winner, but Onika didn't usually make personal donations for one person. After giving it a few seconds of thought, she sighed.