chapter one- masala chai

sumedh

 I make my way towards the restuarant- Spice and Chutney.

Of course she will be there. Anupamaa Joshi- according to the source.

 She, by relation was my mother but how can a mother's heart not tell when her son is away.

Anupamaa,  was my mother by blood, a woman whose love faded like a dying flame as each new child entered our world. I was the first, the one who basked in her affection until my brother Toshu arrived, stealing her attention and care. And so, the cycle continued with the arrival of Samar and finally Pakhi, each one dimming the light of affection that once shone on me.

I grew accustomed to living in the shadows of my siblings, learning to adapt and mold myself to fit the expectations of a family that no longer saw me. Even when I achieved milestones, like acing my math exam with a perfect score, Anupamaa's eyes were elsewhere, too preoccupied with the youngest member of our brood to notice my accomplishments.

One fateful day at the fair, surrounded by laughter and joy, I found myself drifting further and further away from Anupamaa, lost in a sea of faces and forgotten among the crowd. She never looked back, and neither did I, a silent understanding passing between us - a bond fractured beyond repair.

Now, twenty years later, I stood before her as a grown man, a successful businessman in a land far from home. The bustling streets of America had replaced the chaos of our family home, offering me a fresh start and a chance to grow beyond the confines of my past.

Anupamaa sat alone, a mere shell of the woman who once held me close, her eyes clouded with grief and loneliness. It was time to confront the ghosts of my childhood, to address the wounds that had festered for far too long.

With a deep breath, I finally got inside the cafe--it s warmth enveloping me and the sweet scent of jasmine lingering in the air. The same jasmine that she used to wear. 

I saw her from a distance--she was preparing the dishes.

A homely atmosphere--it became when the smell of chai hit my nostrils.

The masala chai. Of course,  I did not forget it. She used to make it everyday with theplas. Moti Baa used to praise her. 

It was her kitchen ritual- the masala chai had to be there.

My mother.

Yes, she was.

ANUPAMAA JOSHI--FOR NOW BECAUSE SHE WAS NO LONGER A SHAH NOR A KAPADIA.

''Waiter!'' 

The waiter came with a notepad and a pen.

I was the first person--in the cafe.

''One masala tea''

He nodded and went.

I was busy reading the news on my phone when the clink of the saucer took my attention.

The cup was before me, with steaming hot masala chai.

The smell was delicious.

Of course--she had made this, it was bound to be delicious.

I took a sip and rolled my eyes.

The tea had excess sugar.

''Cheeni zyada hai anu isme-

Surry, surry, woh galti se hogaya Sumedh ke papa''

The same tea but different emotion.

''Surry surry- woh chai-- mera matlab the tea is extra sweet.'' She came to me apologising.

She knew english too! Great.

For the first time- I saw her face devoid of any happiness. There was no spark. There was no gleam. There was no glow. She had some fine lines on her forehead and some wrinkles near her eyes.

She had a very dry skin- the climate didn't suit her.

She was- as usual in a saree. A pink saree with a white sweater on it.

Nothing had changed to be honest. But her face had.

Not because she was 54 - but because her life was a roller coaster.

For a moment I wanted to hug her.

I wanted to tell her that she was  wrong-  she believed that she will handle everything. She believed that her tireless sacrifices were necessary, that her loved ones understood the sacrifices she made for their sake. But what she failed to realize was that in the name of responsibilities, she was burdening others by almost neglecting them.

Not everything had to be handled by her.

Who was going to tell her that in name of responsibilities she was burdening others- by almost neglecting them. Why? Responsibilities.

''Chalega- chai mein. Par kabhi kabhi zyaada mithaas kadwahat door karne ke wajaey kadwahat badha deti hai- maa.'' I replied.

For a moment she stared at me.

Her eyes spoke.

Her eyes held an emotion.

''I mean Anupamaa ji''

....

Not a long and an impressive chapter but this is sumedh's pov.

Do tell me in the comments what do you think about sumedh?

Also-- you can see that there are complexities. Sumedh is a caharacter with many layers.

This introduces Sumedh's arc.

CAFE IS REPLACED BY RESTAURANT--because it serves indian meals too!