chapter four- bakuda

vanraj

In Toshu's house, the atmosphere was tense as I impatiently waited for Anupamaa to arrive. Kinjal, who was usually a calming presence, was absent, leaving me to contend with Pari and Toshu. The latter seemed to be in an especially chatty mood that day, constantly bombarding me with questions and irrelevant remarks. It was almost as if he couldn't stand the silence for even a moment.

As Toshu prattled on, his eyes kept drifting towards a stack of papers on the table. A sudden realization struck me - those were confidential documents I had brought over for Anupamaa. With Anupamaa being delayed, I made a split-second decision to guard the papers with my life, determined not to let Toshu sneak a peek.

Growing increasingly annoyed by Toshu's behavior, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I announced that I would head straight to Anupamaa's place instead of waiting any longer. As I made the decision, Toshu's eyes widened in surprise, perhaps realizing he wouldn't get the chance to pry into the papers.

Ignoring Toshu's protests, I asked him to book a cab for me. The thought of some food to calm my nerves crossed my mind - a steaming cup of masala chai sounded particularly appealing. Anupamaa's chai always managed to soothe my soul, unlike Toshu's constant badgering.

As the cab arrived, I bid a hasty farewell to Toshu and Pari, who seemed bewildered by my abrupt departure.

--

anupamaa

It was time for closing.

Abhira was with me-chatting away.

Today was her-moot court.

And she had been selected for the final round.

''Pata hai aunty--woh Khadoos bhi thhey--kal jiske saath meri ann bann huyi thi-''

''Woh jo kal masala chai peene aaye thhey?''

''Haan- wahi''

The door opened- in the meantime.

''Mister Shah?''

''MISTER SHAH?''

Vanraj looked at Abhira with a confused expression.

''Who are you and how do you know my name?''

''Your name is also Mister Shah? What a coincidence sir!. I was calling the man standing behind you'' Abhira answered and I felt my heart beat.

It was the same man who had come yesterday.

Mister Shah- turned back.

''Your wallet Abhira!--careless girl--you had left it on the podium. Despite of my calling, you did not even look back! THIS IS PURE CARELESSNESS!'' the man scolded Abhira.

''Mister Shah--stop lecturing me! Thank you for returning the wallet--''

''My name is not Mister Shah- I AM SUMEDH SHAH--YOU UNDERSTAND''

''Sumedh?'' Mister Shah and I looked at each other. I saw Mister Shah's expression changing.

My heart thudded erratically in my chest.