[Shatter me] Nightmares and confessions

Setting: Post Believe me

"I'm sorry."

"But, but," She sobbed. "Why? What did I do wrong?"

"You didn't do anything wrong, Juliette."

"Where did this come from all of a sudden? I- I thought... I thought you loved me... you told me you loved me."

"I did, I just... I don't anymore."

Tears spilled out of her eyes. "But I love you, Aaron. I, I can't, I don't know how to-"

"Goodbye, Juliette."

"No," she sobbed, as he walked into the distance. "Come back."

Her sobs turned into heavy breaths and she couldn't fill her lungs with air, she couldn't breathe, she was shaking- no, she was being shaken.

"Love? Love? Juliette! Juliette, love, please wake up."

She gasped, opening her eyes. Real tears now spilled down her cheeks, warming them momentarily before leaving a sticky feeling.

Aaron was there. Right in front of her, and they were together, in their bed, in their house. He was holding her gently but firmly, his strong hands steadily holding her shaking figure in place.

"Aaron," she breathed.

"Oh, love, what's wrong?"

"I- you- we-" she could barely get any words out as sobs and ragged breaths tore through her.

"Breathe. Breathe, love," he told her.

She looked at him, such utter concern for her etched onto his face. His green eyes scanning all over her face. He was so perfect. It wouldn't be a shock if he wanted to leave her.

Her breathing slowed, and he rubbed up and down her arms. He wiped away the tears on her face with an attempt at a smile.

She flung her arms properly around him, as silent tears continued to fall out of her eyes.

He didn't  say anything, just stroked soothingly up and down her back, kissing her temple.

She sniffed loudly and wiped her eyes, but he didn't let go of her.

"I... I had a bad dream," she offered in explanation. "Sorry."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Don't ever apologise for something like that, love. Do you want to talk about it?"

"I was... you were..." he squeezed her shoulders in encouragement. "You told me you didn't want... didn't want to be with me anymore."

He froze. "Oh, sweetheart. How could an idea like that even ever find it's way into your beautiful head?"

"I just," she sniffed. "I love you- so much- and I never feel like I'm good enough for you. And even though I know you love me, I'm scared, scared because things never go well for me. They never have, and it feels wrong that I've been so happy lately, like any moment something is going to go wrong, and everything is going to collapse, and I don't know what I would do if that happened, Aaron, I don't know how I would go on."

He took her face in his hands and rested her forehead against his. "First of all, don't you ever, ever think that. Don't you ever think you aren't good enough for me, Juliette. I am the one who doesn't deserve you. You're just... you're so perfect, and it's a miracle that you love me, it really is. I have no idea how anyone could love me, especially someone like you. I'm a mess. I'm a ruin of a person, and I'm a lot to handle, I know that. And I fear that any day now, you'll realise that yourself and go and find someone who actually deserves you. Someone kind, someone who hasn't killed hundreds, someone who gets along with your friends, someone small children don't run away from, someone without scars on his back. Someone whole."

"Oh, Ella," he whispered to himself. "When will you realise? Please don't ever."

A tear of his own fell as he looked at her. "I'm so selfish for keeping you, for wanting you so badly when I have done nothing to deserve you. But I don't care, that's just another one of my many flaws."

"Aaron. How can you be selfish when I want you just as much? I want you forever. I want you with me every moment of my life. Please don't ever talk about yourself like that. You're not a mess. You're perfect- perfect for me."

A smile appeared on his face, accompanied by the dimples Juliette loved so very much. "We've both been through so much, love. We shouldn't have to feel like we have to give anything back for being happy. And you are my happiness, love. Wherever you go, I'll follow. I'll love you forever. And we've worked so hard to get to where we are today, I won't let anything or anyone take that away from us. No matter what."

She smiled. "Promise?"

"I swear." He stroked her hair. "Please try and sleep, love. You look exhausted."

She yawned sleepily, pulling him down with her and cuddling into his side as his arms wrapped firmly around her.

He pressed a kiss to her temple and inhaled her lavender scent.

As she started to doze off to sleep, Aaron began talking. Half to her, half to himself.

"I can't believe you don't know how perfect you are, or how desperately in love with you I am. Every time I see you, my heart feels like it's going to explode. Even thinking about you makes me go all warm and fuzzy. Your voice is like a sweet melody, and your laughter is the most precious sound I've ever heard. The first time I saw you smile, I think my heart may have skipped a beat. Your whole face shone and I wanted to cry, I wanted to laugh, I wanted to say a million things but I couldn't speak. I wanted to feel but I'd gone numb. All I knew was that I would die peacefully if it meant gifting the world another one of those perfect smiles."

"You are so- so beautiful. Inside and out. If the world were to end tomorrow, the last thing to die would be my love for you. Sometimes I feel like it will overwhelm me, but I can't get enough. You're like my own personal brand of heroin. Every time I get caught in your eyes, I have to physically tear myself away before I get lost. I think you can tell, in the mornings, how hard it is for me to let go of your even for a second. When I'm touching your soft skin is the only time I feel at ease. When your body is close to mine, like this, when you're holding me and I'm holding you, it's the only time I feel like I can be myself. Only you know the real me."

"Every day I wake up and I'm still astounded to find you next to me. Shocked that you're real, and I haven't dreamt you up, that I won't just wake up in my bed in my cold room in sector 45 with nothing to live for."

"You are my reason for existence, my reason for everything. And the fact that you know all this about me, my absolute obsession with you, and still aren't frightened by me makes me the happiest man on earth."

"I love you. Know that. Always know that."

And although the barely conscious Juliette didn't register all of what he said, she was once again assured, just how much Aaron Warner adored her, and she fell into the land of dreams with a smile on her face- Aaron in every single one.

————————————————————————

I love writing chapters like this x
They always make me tired for some reason though 🥱

Well, that's the first Warnette oneshot!
Many more to come xx

❤️❤️❤️