Chapter 2: Flashback

On an early overcast morning, a gothic style carriage stopped and parked in right front of the Notre Dame cathedral.  Frollo stepped out along with a little girl, who was wearing very fancy clothing for someone of her age.

She had long black hair and was of gypsy decent.  She was also wearing a red and gold colored dress with a headpiece.  Who was this child, you ask?  

O/C.  This was the same child whose mother he killed, in front of that very same cathedral, six years earlier on that cold winter night.  

Unknown to her, her twin brother was being held up in the bell tower.  In fact, she didn't even know that she had a brother at all!  As they were stepping out child asked while pouting,

"Why do we have to come here all the time?  Why can't we do something fun instead?  Jacqueline would let me!  She lets me do everything!"

Jacqueline was O/C's former wet nurse, whom Frollo hired the day after being forced to take her in, along with her misshapen twin brother.  She was now her dry nurse.

"O/C!  You know very well why we must attend church daily, it is what our lord wants!  You're almost a woman now and I must prepare you to become a godly, holy, and righteous noblewoman very soon in order to follow in my footsteps!" the minister scolded her.  "And do not ever mention that...that...peasant wench!" he spat in disgust.

"But I'm only six.  I'm not even a grown up yet," the little girl said.  "Besides, it's so boring here."

"Not another word!  Now I highly recommend you hold your wretched tongue or else you shall be punished!" he threatened her as they were climbing the steps up to the cathedral and entered.

The little girl managed to say that she would rather be with Jacqueline than with Frollo under her breath, but luckily he didn't hear it.  Things would had ended very badly if he did.

While they were walking down the great hall towards the bell tower door, she broke the silence and suddenly asked,

"Can we please skip praying lessons just for today?"

This, however, did not go very well.  The next thing she knew, she felt a hot sting across her cheek and felt herself fall and land on the marble tile floor with a thud.  Frollo had slapped her across the face.

She looked back up at him with a tear in her eye as he gave her a cold dark glare.  But before he could say anything, a voice was heard echoing throughout the whole cathedral.

"FROLLO!!!  DO NOT STRIKE THAT CHILD!!!"  It came all the way from the second story balcony.  It was the archdeacon.

He then stormed down the spiral staircase and made his way downstairs, in order to confront the minister for his 'parenting skills.'  As soon he reached them, O/C got up from the floor and hid behind the archdeacon in fear.

"Are you mad?!  She is only a child!  That is no way to treat her!" he confronted him.