Chapter 5: The Incident

While everyone was still cheering, two of Frollo's guards decided to let their true feelings show.

"You think he's ugly now?  Watch this!" one of them said, picking up a tomato off the ground.  He then threw it at poor Quasimodo, hitting him square in the face.  The crowd quickly went quiet.  "Now that's ugly!" he called out, while laughing.

"Hail to the king!" Another guard called out, mockingly.

He threw another tomato at the deformed young man.  Soon, he was being pelted with produce of all kinds by the whole crowd.  Shouts came from all directions.  

Roaring, he tried to fight back but was soon lassoed and tied down on a rotating platform.  He was spun around, as onlookers continue their torment.  He saw Frollo watching and called out for help.

"Master!  Master, please!  Help me!"

Frollo, however, watched viciously and did nothing about it.  In fact, he turned to his head to the side in response.

O/C desperately tried to make her way through in order to help her poor twin brother, who was still being tormented by the crowd

O/C desperately tried to make her way through in order to help her poor twin brother, who was still being tormented by the crowd.  Meanwhile, Phoebus had had enough.

"Sir, request permission to stop this cruelty," he said.

"In just a moment, Captain.  A lesson needs to be learned here," the minister said with a smirk.

As soon as he said this, the crowd gasped and went silent.  Phoebus and Frollo looked up towards the stage and saw O/C ascending the steps in order to help the poor misshapen young man, who was now covered in vegetable juices.

Upon seeing her he cowered in fear, not knowing what she was going to do to him.  He didn't quite recognize her.

"Don't be afraid.  I'm sorry.  This wasn't supposed to happen," she spoke sympathetically as she knelt down to his level and started wiping away the juices from his body.

"O/C!  Get down at once!" Frollo ordered, angered that she had disobeyed him.

"Yes, father.  Just as soon as I free this poor boy," she called back out.

"I forbid it!" he snapped.

Just then, Emerald climbed onto the stage, pulled out a knife, and cut the ropes bounding poor Quasimodo, ultimately freeing him.