Chapter 3: 20 years Later

The year is now 1482.  O/C is 20 years of age and was standing on the front balcony of the Palace of Justice, watching the villagers put up decorations for the yearly festival of fools.

When she was twelve her former wet nurse, nanny, and friend, Jacquline, died from complications during childbirth.  She grieved her for a very long time, but Frollo told her not to waste her tears on a 'peasant wench's death.'  To him, peasants were a 'pathetic' waste of space on the planet.

But despite this, she missed her only close friend terribly and thought about her quite often.  Until her death, she took O/C to the Festival of Fools every single year since she was a baby.  

It was one of her many happy memories she had with her.  Watching the festival being set up reminded her of her dear friend.  Just then, she heard someone approach her from behind.  It was her adoptive father, Frollo.

"Good morning, O/C," he spoke very stoic and formally.  In response she quickly turned around to face him.

"Good morning, father," she said.

"Why you look forward to attending such a dastardly event every year, I will never comprehend," he spat in disgust, seeing that she was watching the festival be set up.

"Because, father, it's the only exciting thing that ever happens here in Paris," she informed him.  "There's just nothing else to do other than that."

"O/C, I am surprised at you for saying such a thing!  If it weren't for me, you would had died in the snow on that dreadfully cold night and this how you repay me for taking you into my home and raising you as my own daughter?" 

"I'm sorry, father.  I didn't think that you would be offended by that remark," O/C apologized, hoping that he wouldn't punish her.

"You are forgiven, my dear.  Now, let's start lessons, shall we?" he said as he began leading her away from the balcony towards the parlor.

"Yes, father," she said respectfully.

After they finished he left for the cathedral to go see her twin brother, the same baby he tried to drown in a well the night he killed their mother; Quasimodo. 

Meanwhile up the in bell tower, the deformed young man had just finished ringing the bells like he did every single morning.  As he looked over the balcony, he spotted a bird's nest in the mouth in one of his gargoyle friends, Hugo.

"Good morning!" he said to the baby bird who just woke up.  The bird squeaked with approval.

"Will today be the day?  Are you ready to fly?!" he tried to encourage it.  The bird squeaked with disapproval.

"You sure?  Good day to try.  Why, if-if I picked a day to fly, oh, this would be it!  The Festival of Fools!  It will be fun--the jugglers, and music, and dancing..."

The bird, who had been resting in his hand, had began to flap its wings.  He slowly removed his hands until the bird was hovering in place.