Sink Or Swim

The following evening, Cassie went back to Uma's shop. Before leaving the evening before, the captain had asked Cassie to come back the next day since they had to discuss 'living spaces' and introduce Cassie to the pirate who'd be teaching her their ways. Meeting whoever it was Uma had ordered to help her settle into their crew made sense; it was 'living spaces' that had the little cat's attention. Uma didn't actually think Cassie was going to move in with the pirates, did she?

With disbelief, the little cat questioned, "You're not serious?"

Uma's devious smile was appalling as she replied, "As a whistle on a ship."

Unfamiliar with pirate terms, Cassie was rather baffled by Uma's reply. Nonetheless, she could tell the captain wasn't messing around with her. "I already have a place," she exclaimed, ignoring the tickle against the back of her neck.

"And what? We don't know where it is," Uma pointed out with a shrug.

"Yeah!" groaned Cassie. "Because your bestie's a psycho!" The irritating sensation that returned to Cassie's nape was rather comedic in its timing. "Would you knock that shit off?!" she yelled at the being standing right behind her, far closer than anything she was comfortable with.

"Sorry," the hook-wielding pirate muttered, though they both knew that was far from the truth. "Am I makin' ya uncomfy?" He lowered his chin to rest on her bare shoulder, raising his hand to drag the point of his hook across her throat.

"If I say yes, will you back off?" snapped Cassie, refusing to look him in the eye. It'd only encourage this behaviour.

"Eh, not really."

Cassie stared pleadingly at Uma. "Can you teach him some of the basics of personal space?"

Thankfully, Uma wasn't in the mood to allow him this. "Give her some room, Harry."

"Thank you," sighed Cassie. "Look, I said I'd join your crew to get Maddie off my back. I didn't say I'd move in, and neither did you!"

Uma 'tsked'. "My terms were in the fine print."

"And so were mine," stated Cassie, resting her right arm on the bar beside them. "How about I tell you where I'm staying, and you don't tell shadow over there?"

The captain's eyes rolled skyward. "Hm, nope. Look, it takes trust to be a part of a crew. We can't trust you if you don't trust us." At least this time, Uma seemed a tad bit more empathetic.

Cassie groaned, "Uma." In some way, she could understand where the captain was coming from. To be part of a group on the Isle meant trusting that group to come to your defence, and in return, you'd do the same. Naturally, the little cat held more than a few uncertainties when it came to Harry and him knowing her living space, so the very notion of allowing him to know exactly where she slept and sought safety set her nerves on fire.

"What's the hang-up, pussycat?" asked Uma, rather impatiently.

The little cat inhaled, releasing a slow breath a second later. "You're asking me to trust you with my life," she laughed, though there was no humour in it. "No, actually, you're asking me to trust Harry, of all people, with my life. That's a big ask."

Uma gave a slow nod, though Cassie could see the gears in her mind turning. "Aren't you already doing that, though?" She said it pointedly, earning a frown of confusion from Cassie.

"How so?"

Uma shrugged. "You joined the crew to get away from Maddie and her goons. Because of the protection we could offer you. What do you think comes with that?" she asked.

Cassie's brows furrowed. "I don't actually know," she admitted. "All I knew was that Maddie wanted me, and I had to join someone else so she couldn't have me."