The Golden Rule

The night air was startlingly chilly—a warning to the Isle residents of what was to come. In a matter of weeks, they'd be subjected to heavy snowfall and biting rain, and the ocean surrounding their prison would turn to ice. Many of those lucky enough to be born into a family who owned a building had already boarded up their windows and any doors they didn't use daily, hoping to keep out the oncoming frost. Anything scattered about the streets that was capable of being burned down was already taken, likely by those unfortunate enough to be stuck out on the streets at this time of year.

Studying the enormous archway made of brick, Cassie shivered, her nose wrinkling as a tickle began in her nostrils. Rubbing her arms in the hopes of bringing some warmth through, the little cat eyed the area just beyond the arch, or, more specifically, right where the road had been broken down.

Despite having been born and raised on the Isle, Cassie hadn't ever felt the need to visit this part. Many years before, her father had brought her here. She'd been around ten years old—the typical age at which the children on the Isle began to question absolutely everything. Why they weren't allowed to travel onto the territory of their parent's enemy, why that other kid on the schoolyard seemed to hate them so much, and, most importantly, why they never swam across the sea to that beautiful kingdom on the other side. The Cheshire Cat had truthfully explained to his daughter exactly why they weren't permitted to leave the Isle, though he had been careful enough to leave out the story behind his imprisonment. He'd told her that all of the grown-ups on the Isle had done something to either irritate or harm those over on the other side, and so they'd been thrown onto the Isle as punishment. Even then, Cassie had been ever so curious and demanded to know what she personally had done to wind up there. Naturally, the simple fact that she hadn't done anything in particular, but that she was stuck there because her parents had done something stupid, hadn't gone down well.

"Daddy, I don't wanna be here." She'd whined, holding tight to her father's pink-striped trousers.

"Yeah, I don't wanna be here either, kiddo," he'd replied, smoothing a hand over her head. "But it won't be long."

With a curious frown, Cassie had peered up at her dad. "Long until what?"

As quick as a flash, he'd joyfully exclaimed, "Have I ever told you about the Mad Hatter?"

To this day, Cassie still didn't know what he'd been talking about. In truth, she hardly cared. Her dad had always been a little strange, probably due to the curse. He'd always been muttering about something or other, usually to himself, and she hadn't paid enough attention to ask.

Cassie dragged her eyes down the length of the structure, taking a hesitant step forward. For ten minutes now, she'd been in front of the arch, eyes squinted in a poor effort to see the translucent cage surrounding the Isle. Caused by either idiocy or her pestering curiosity, Cassie couldn't help but creep closer and closer. Not that anyone could blame her, of course. The barrier prevented even the slightest use of magic, but taunted them with the knowledge that it was very real and very much in use by those lucky enough to be born in Auradon. The barrier itself was the closest thing they had to it.

Taking another step, Cassie checked her surroundings. Thankfully, it seemed no one else had arrived just yet.

Another step. Now, she was right on the edge of the arch, almost directly beneath it. There was an odd kind of pulse drifting along her body, like the wind had decided to focus in on her and prevent her from moving further. Cautiously, Cassie reached out with her right hand, a breath caught in her throat. Her fingers inched closer, until she eventually felt it.

It was quite uncomfortable, yet quite intriguing. Honestly, Cassie had conjured up a few dramatic tales as far as the barrier was concerned. Did it burn those who got too close? Would it send out a shock wave and put them on their ass? Would they get hurt if they touched it? It was disappointing, really, to find none of those theories had been true.