Are You Mine?

It came as no surprise when, the morning Cassie arrived back at Uma's ship with the Neverland map in her mouth, she went straight down into her room. A part of her did recall Harry asking her to come and find him when she was done with Kody, but her fatigue took priority. For the remainder of the day, Cassie stayed in her bedroom, sleeping off the chaos and incredibly tense circumstances she'd thrown herself into the evening before.

When the sun went down, Cassie began to stir. Regardless of how tired she was, the curse cared very little for her physical or mental health, startling her awake whether she liked it or not.

After the strain of her transformation dwindled, Cassie got dressed. She'd left the pirate attire with Kody after changing into her feline form, and he'd assured her that he'd bring the pile back to Uma in the morning.

Reaching for the bedside table, where she usually placed her headband, Cassie was brutally reminded of just what had gone down the night before, and there was a very high chance Uma would snap her headband for her disobedience. Still, Cassie didn't regret her choice. Though Uma was their captain, she had no right to decide the fate of a crewmate's parent. If Harry wanted his dad dead, he could do it himself.

The bedroom door creaked open, and Cassie turned her head.

"Hey, Wildcat," greeted Starla, resting her side against the frame. "Heard you had a hell of a night." She was teasing, but Cassie picked up on something else hiding behind it.

"Hm," responded Cassie, getting to her feet. "Uma told everyone?"

Starla shrugged, and her eyes drifted to the floor. "Kind'a."

Cassie paused, eyeing her fellow crewmate with slight curiosity. Starla's peculiar demeanour could be put down to knowing what Uma had in store for Cassie tonight. After all, it was evident Uma had told the crew what she'd been up to, and there was no doubt Kody had told the captain of Cassie's failure. Maybe Starla was simply downhearted for Cassie's sake. The deceit of Harry's fight on the ship had long been forgiven by the little cat, and she and Starla had grown closer since. If their roles were reversed, Cassie could imagine she'd be rather sympathetic regarding Starla as well.

Cassie momentarily considered asking Starla what the captain had in mind for her punishment, but eventually decided against it. She'd known the consequences of choosing not to kill Harry's dad and settled with it anyway. Even if she did run, the damn hook-wielding pirate would track her down.

"Okay," mumbled Cassie. "Let's go."

The walk to Uma's shoppe was unbearably tense. Starla, for maybe the first time ever, didn't seem keen on striking up a conversation. This gave very little reassurance to Cassie, who took her friend's silence as a guarantee that she was fucked. Still, she continued, doing her best to ignore the churning in her stomach or the abrupt itch of apprehension spreading along her skin.

When they arrived at the shoppe, Cassie kept moving. If she allowed herself to falter, there was a chance her brain would run frantic and prevent her from entering. However, a quick tug at her hand pulled her back.

"What's up?" asked Cassie, turning to Starla.

"I have to tell you something," whispered the pirate girl, her eyes flittering to the doors behind Cassie. Starla didn't seem overly fearful of whatever was waiting inside for Cassie, but the little cat noticed traces of either shame or secrecy in Starla's expression.

"Are you okay?" wondered Cassie, slightly concerned for her friend. As far as she could recall, Starla hadn't seemed this agitated since Cassie had confronted her after the incident on the ship.

There was a second of quiet. Starla's gaze darted about Cassie's face as she tugged her bottom lip firmly between her teeth. It was obvious she was considering telling Cassie whatever it was that had her on edge. In the end, though, her lips quirked in-what Cassie assumed-a forced smile.