To Ask A Hook

Not long after that chaotic evening, Cassie wound up in Helena's salon, recounting the entire ordeal of that week. A long chat with the Queen of Hearts was well overdue, especially after spending the majority of her time with the pirates.

Harry had decided to take up her training again, much to Starla's irritation. He hadn't mentioned what'd had him so out of focus and avoiding her for those few days, but Cassie wouldn't push it; he'd tell her when he was ready. Unfortunately for Cassie, though, he'd returned to their training with a heavy dose of enthusiasm. She'd thought he was difficult to duel before, but now he was all too happy to prove her wrong. Sure, she was getting better at predicting his moves and evading his swipes, but that didn't mean she was leaving their lessons without a scratch. More often than not, she retreated to her bedroom with a handful of wounds, thankfully within her ability to reach with her tongue. By the time they were done now, she longed for nothing more than the comfort of her bed, where she could soothe her aching limbs and heal her bloody wounds. This also meant she hadn't had as much spare time for Helena, and the guilt had begun to eat away at her.

When the pirate had come to fetch her tonight, Cassie had all but told him to go sit on his own hook. She'd been training with him for days, putting her best friend in the back seat in the process. So Cassie had told him that, one night a week, she'd be spending it at Helena's. It hardly came as a surprise when he was quite against the idea, reminding her that she wouldn't become a full member of Uma's crew if she didn't pass initiation, which was only two months away. In return, Cassie pointed out that it was only one night she was asking for, and it was ridiculous of him to attempt to refuse when she hadn't been asking for permission in the first place. And, well, with Harry being Harry, he'd taken that as a strike to either his ego or the fact he was higher on the chain than she was.

"Cassie," he groaned, almost threateningly. "Did ye' forget who ye'r talkin' to?"

The little cat rolled her eyes. "No. Did you?" The amusement of the split-second disbelief on his face at her defiance was almost worth the headache sure to follow.

"Two months, Kitty," he reminded her, forcing the words through his teeth. "If ye' don't pass, ye'r out on ye'r arse."

"I get it," she huffed, crossing her arms. "It's just one night. I don't see the big deal."

He snorted. "No big deal? D'ye have any idea how many would kill to be where ye' are right now?"

Irritation fuelled Cassie's retort, "On the crew? Or on you?"

Fury flared in his eyes, and he pushed his tongue against the inside of his cheek. "Yes," he eventually replied.

Cassie's irises flickered between her usual dark brown and a glowing yellow. "And what?" she snapped, pushing away from the armchair behind her to stand toe-to-toe with Harry. "Should I drop to my knees because the notorious Harry Hook gave me a second look?"

Glaring down at her, he responded, "Aye, would be a good start."

"If that's what you want," she seethed. "Go find someone else."

Cassie hadn't given him a moment to respond or even comprehend what she'd told him. Immediately after, she'd left the bedroom and headed straight for Helena's place.

And now here she was, recalling every moment to her friend without leaving out a single detail. Helena, for the most part, had remained silent during the little cat's tale, her chin balanced on her first as she pondered what she was being told.

"And now I'm here," finished Cassie, her legs draped over the armrest of a salon chair as she rested her head on her palm.

There was a moment of silence, where Helena gave a long-winded sigh and gently scratched at her hairline. Eventually, she pointed to the other side of the room. "And him?"