❀Ⅸ. I Got Your Back, Stabbed

"You're not as dense as I thought," Wyatt gathered, leaning deep into the chair.

My heart throbbed as I try to make up the words to say next. "I thought of her as someone who would never, ever hurt me." I let out a bitter laugh. I looked over to him but his eyes were already on mine. He averted it in an instant as if there's a force pressuring him.

"My father saw a potential in her the minute she stepped foot in our house. A potential that would ruin the family. Few days in, she already cut a maid's hand because she brushed her hair wrong. Father sent her here because although, her behavior is... not ordinary, she's smart but Georgia draws this conclusion that we're ditching her."

Staying silent, I heeded his words, matching the lines with the Georgia that I, myself know.

"Every family gathering, she would spread baseless rumors after being scolded for so many times. As if she only hears what she wanted to. Even so, mom kept defending her wrong doings so father turns a blind eye. That only make things worse."

One thing about Mr. Fenning, he won't excuse people who humiliated their own. Not even dad.

"Last year, father finally draw the line when Georgia announces her pregnancy to the Fenning. Saying that it's mine." I coughed, taken aback. "But of course it's not true, I swear." Wyatt confirmed, his hands up as if accused for a crime. "She did kiss me but the fact that the story spiraled from there, freaks mom off. Father banished her from the house that very night and...I think she's using you to get to me." I almost thought his worried smile was directed to me.

'Wait. Why me?'

"I'm tired. Turn the lights off before you leave." I turned my back on him and closes my eyes, hoping whatever tension lit up earlier didn't escalated into something. I had enough on my shoulders. He'd understand.

The boy chuckled and scorned. "You never change, what was I expecting. Grow up, Claire." He went to the door, leaving more bars of chocolates on the chair.

'He didn't switch off the lights. Jerk.'

A sudden knock woke me from my slumber. Blinking twice, I tried to draw up the pink figure entering the infirmary.

Sophie.

She brought out a box of bandages from her purse and began unwrapping it. My drooly mouth can't even ask or stop her. When she lifted my sleeves, she halted in confusion.

"I thought you...never mind." She sat herself down on the same seat Wyatt took last night. She began unboxing her usual breakfast, Caesar salad and ate it with class. I feel embarrassed looking at myself.

"I stopped cutting my wrist after my dad found out. Those drawings you saw were from my past." I clarified and she nodded absentmindedly. "Those papers-,"

"It's not me. I know I'm not pleasant to be around with but this time, it's really not me." Her blue eyes turn glossy.

"You once asked me to be friends, I was not the kindest too back then. So, what do you say, truce?" I extended my hand which she shakes with enthusiasm. Sophie updated me how Gia had gone MIA since yesterday. She didn't even check on me last night which is so out of character. Maybe she finds out that I figured it out. How she stabbed me in the back and make a fool out of me.

"Doesn't it count as cheating?" Sophie abruptly questioned out of nowhere.

"What is?" Is there something i missed out?

"You said it's from an old work of yours. I think it's a tad unfair for other contestants who just started out with a fresh idea. You should do that too since there's still remaining weeks. Not much time but just enough."

Should I start anew this time? To be frank, those ideas were Claire's, it feels like stealing someone's work. Sophie's right, I'm starting fresh. I'm not giving up.

"Can you bring me my iPad?"

There's this storyline, I've been thinking of since I came to Easthein but kept getting interrupted by the comic I worked on before. Now, it's time to let it get the attention it worth.

Digital art is easier and faster compared to traditional art. Nevertheless, it needs adequate training and skills so it might finish just hours before the due date which is now in a month. Digital art is the same category Gina signed up in, I might need some pointers for starters. That is, if we're still friends after my fall out with Georgia. I'm not ready to face them especially Gia. I'm afraid to get hurt by the person I treasure. However, even if she does, I will not break. This time, I'm not backing down from a fight.

"The screen is going to break at this rate." George interrupted just before I smash the iPad on the wall.

"Yeah, yeah." I brushed off her remarks and continue on to the next panel. I'm getting the hang of this; I just have to trust the process.

"Come up, they said you're ready to be discharged."

Has it been five days? I lost track of time staying in this windowless room. That means I'll be having the dreadful conversation soon. No, later.

I heard Gia is back in the dorms. George helped me packed up my stuff and accompanied me to the dorms. Just like old days.

On the way, George told me about her cousin. Her version sounds better than the ones I heard recently.

"She was left unattended at the shelter; we visited her once a month and she would always greet us with a hug. I admit, she has an odd side but she's also a warm person to me. Whenever she acted up, I would picture her as the girl who saved me from drowning even though she herself can't swim. As her cousin, I would want you to forgive her but..." She gripped both my shoulders, fixing my red eyes on hers. "As your best friend who watch you encounter countless sufferings, don't tolerate what you can't. Don't think too much about it, just do what you think is right."

"I miss your words of wisdom."

"Shut up."

Its 8PM, they should be finish with dinner but no one is in the room. Great.

My smile turns upside down when I saw a blonde sitting on my bed as I enter my room. Gia.

"Why are you here, Claire?" God, she's gone all attack mode from the start. Her heavy eyebags and pale lips make my heart clenched.

"It's none of your business." I gritted.

"It is. My lousy mouth might tell the headmaster something worth knowing. Your answer might change my mind." My pained expression made her pause. She glanced to a picture of us on my dressing table and sighed.

"I'm leaving, it's the least you could do." She wiped a tear rolling down her sunken cheek.

"I'm also rejected by my family. We're blood related but they treat me like I'm not. So, I ran, fake my death and follow where my heart brings me. Enough reason to shut your mouth?" I hope it stings. I want her to regret losing me.

"Why? You have...a home to return to, meals that'll be serve even though you didn't behave right, presents every Christmas. You have a family."

I don't precisely know either. I left when I felt the bad memories overshadowed the good ones.

"Before I left, someone trapped me to be a villain that they for so long painted me for. I didn't run because of that. I ran because I saw for a brief moment, that my dad believes them. It killed me." It's the truth. Dad never gives them the satisfaction of deposing me, he would turn deaf but that night he didn't. He knows how to find me but surprise, surprise, he didn't.

"Then, I shall join you." Gia climbed my table and stand on the window seals. She turned her head just enough to flash her weak smile. "Goodbye, Blake."

"No!"