Chapter 15 (P2)

Fitz's POV:

Dex diagnosed with CIPA really shook Fitz up. That meant that if something was terribly wrong, Dex would only be able to feel a bit of it.

Now, Fitz was sitting alone in the dark living room. The only light came from the bright moon shining through the floor to ceiling windows. Dex was asleep upstairs in bed.

Fitz tapped his foot on the floor out of anxiety. Just a minute ago, he was pacing the room.

Fitz tried to calm himself. He needed a break. He decided to think of something else. Shit! He needed a ring yet! An engagement ring for Dex! Fitz wanted it to be a dazzling ring. One that showed Dex how much Fitz loved him. But Dex was much more humble than Fitz. He probably wouldn't want a dazzling ring. Fitz was so concentrated that he didn't hear the footsteps coming down the staircase.

"Fitz?" Dex called from the foreroom. Dex stepped into the living room, rubbing his eyes. Fitz stood up and walked over to Dex. He held the smaller boy's arms.

"Yes?" Fitz asked quietly. Dex looked up at Fitz with sleepy eyes. Dex buried his head in Fitz's chest.

"It's almost midnight. Can you come to bed now?" Dex whined. Fitz smiled as he wrapped his arms around Dex's waist.

"Yeah, I can," Fitz answered. Dex pulled away from Fitz and shuffled his feet as he made his way back to the staircase. Fitz didn't move yet. He stood at the doorway and looked outside at the stars.

"Thank you," Fitz said subconsciously. He didn't know why he was thanking the stars. He just felt like he needed to.

Fitz walked up the stairs to meet Dex in their bedroom. Fitz pushed open one of the doors into their room to find Dex curled up under the covers once again. Fitz grabbed his pajamas and changed. He climbed into bed next to Dex.

It was hours. He stared at the ceiling, thinking. He was going to need a job soon. Could he and Dex return to school? They still needed to get a room ready for the baby. Explaining this to the rest of their friends. A ring. A ring. A ring. He needed a ring.

Fitz groaned and ran his hands over his face. He tossed and turned. He snuggled into Dex's arms but then wriggled out of his lovers embrace. He couldn't get comfortable.

Out of nowhere, Dex huffed and sat up abruptly.

"Will you stop?" Dex insisted, irritated.

"Stop what?" Fitz asked, sitting up to meet Dex's eyes. Dex rolled his eyes.

"You're finicky moving! At least tell me what's wrong," Dex sighed, reaching up and running his hand through Fitz's hair. Fitz exhaled and laid back down.

"I've just been thinking about things," Fitz admitted. Dex hummed and threw back the covers. "Bathroom break?" Fitz guessed. Dex groaned in response. Fitz chuckled a bit as Dex swung the door open to the master bathroom. Fitz rested the back of his head on his hand. Fitz was used to Dex's routine. Every hour he went to the bathroom. It was normal. But, it was going to get worse.

Dex emerged from the bathroom, rubbing his face.

"I hate being pregnant," Dex mumbled. Fitz chuckled again.

"Well, you chose to keep it so- hmph!" Fitz was trying to wrap his arms around Dex's torso when Dex's hand met his face and pushed him away.

"Noooooooooo," Dex drawled as he continued to push away Fitz's face. Dex stretched, still pushing Fitz's face. Then, the boy turned away from Fitz and curled up to sleep.

"Dexie?" Fitz asked. Dex waved him away. Fitz frowned. He poked Dex's shoulder, teasingly.

"Stooooooop," Dex whined as he slapped Fitz's away. Fitz slumped on his arm. Dealing with a moody, pregnant Dex was not as easy as he thought. Fitz gave a loud, irritated huff as he rolled over. Fitz heard sniffling coming from Dex. Fitz turned back over and leaned over to see Dex's face.

Dex was crying.

Fitz was startled. He immediately moved his hand, which wasn't supporting him, up to Dex face.

"What's wrong?" Fitz questioned. He was careful with his tone. He didn't want to upset Dex anymore.

"It's just... I'm upsetting you and... you seem...stressed. I'm sorry..." Dex mumbled shakily. Tears streamed from Dex's eyes. Fitz wiped the away with his thumb as Dex shifted to meet Fitz's eyes. Fitz held the smaller boy in his arms gently.

"You aren't upsetting me, Dex. Sure, I'll admit, I'm a little stressed, but it's not something you can control. Sure, your diagnosis shook me up a bit, but it's fine now! I'm fine!" Fitz explained. Dex didn't seem too convinced. His bottom lip quivered as he nuzzled his head into Fitz's chest.

"I'm sorry..." Another tear spilled from Dex's eye. Fitz started to rock back and forth. That was his attempt to soothe Dex. Dex gripped Fitz's pajama shirt. Tears soaked Fitz's shirt. But Fitz didn't care. He held Dex tighter.

Dex ended up falling asleep in Fitz's arms after Fitz managed to calm him down. Fitz got no sleep that night.

Dex was making breakfast downstairs and smelled like pancakes. Fitz rubbed his eyes and groaned. He got up and got dressed and headed downstairs.

Dex was humming a beat while he flipped a pancake. A few gadgets lay scattered on the kitchen table. Dex's sketch book lay open on the table. Dex looked over his shoulder.

"Oh, good morning, Fitz!" Dex exclaimed as Fitz sat down. Dex placed a plate of pancakes on the table. Fitz hummed in response. Dex walked around the table and flipped his sketchbook shut. Then, he kissed Fitz's temple and put his hand on Fitz's shoulder.

"Sorry for keeping you up last night," Dex apologized. Fitz shook his head.

"It's fine. I'm always here for you when mood swings like that come through," Fitz told the smaller boy. Dex sat down next to Fitz and started to cut away a piece of pancake.

"Well, that's the start of it, I guess," Dex pointed out as he ate his pancake.

Fitz decided to put his worries aside for now and enjoy breakfast with Dex.