Chapter Seven

"You're not being serious, are you?"

Brody sat across from her, a boyish smile crossing his face. "Aw, c'mon. You're telling me you don't want to plan a party for us?"

Ruby rubbed her eyes. If she were being professional, she would say yes and put behind her the strange tension between her and Atlas. She would plan and execute Atlas's business meeting with fidelity.

But this was asking her too much.

"Brody. Find someone else to plan this business meeting. Hell, plan it yourselves. I'm an event planner, not a meeting coordinator."

"It's more than a business meeting. We're having clients from out of state come. And they're expecting lodging, mingling, and catering. Aren't those in your wheelhouse? And we need a venue. C'mon."

Ruby blew out a sigh, messaging her temples. The short answer was yes, this was in her wheelhouse. But it involved working with Atlas. "I'm sorry Brody. How about you ask someone else here? Anyone else."

Ruby was pointedly ignoring her coworkers, who were already eavesdropping in on this conversation. And she knew they would jump at the chance to work with Brody. "In fact, let me pair you up with someone else. They'll execute this way better than I can."

Brody pressed a hand to his heart. "You're wounding me, Ruby." Then, Brody wrote something down. He passed her the note as if they were in elementary school. "What about that?"

The note read: Payment would include me trying to convince Atlas to let you stay in your apartment.

Ruby's eyes met his sharply. "You're serious?" She wasn't even embarrassed that Brody knew she was a tenant of Atlas's, or that this was something she had been worrying about for weeks.

"I'm serious. I'll try."

Ruby leaned back in her chair, feeling like it was inevitable. "Does he know you're here?"

Brody rubbed at the back of his neck sheepishly. "Not quite."

She groaned. "Brody."

"I know! But c'mon. It'll be easy. We can start with numbers, if you'd like. I have all that information. And the date. I'll help you, seriously. And in return, you plan the best business meeting I've ever seen."

It was there, on the tip of her tongue. No. But, it was a tempting offer. Because this all came down to her being able to stay in her apartment. Being able to stay in her city. Being able to stay away. She swallowed thickly. "Fine."

Brody's face brightened. "Sweet. Listen, about the other day. When we were walking down the street-"

Ruby held her hand up. "You don't need to explain anything."

"I fear I do. Not everyone... likes Atlas. Sometimes, our job requires some petty threats, and I didn't want you getting involved. Not that our usual business enemies are dangerous, but better safe than sorry." Brody wore a crooked smile, and to Ruby, it looked innocent enough.

Truth be told, Ruby hadn't cared about what had happened that day. Her childhood had been eerily similar in a way. Her own father had different types of enemies, ones that would have murdered her straight out.

It was one of the reasons she had left, and would never return.

She was pretty positive she could handle Atlas's business rivals.

Brody stood up, rubbing his hands together. "Let me get you those numbers and dates, and you do your magic." Another grin. "And we'll keep this between us, for now. Let me handle the big guy."