Chapter Fourteen

"Where is your new girl?" Atlas tried to ask causally. He'd been by the restaurant a few times, and yet, Ruby hadn't been there. Not even once.

In fact, with only a few days left until the end of the month, he was surprised he hadn't seen her around the building at all. It was unnerving and annoying, all at the same time. Rufias was howling on the inside in such a worried manner, it was beginning to chafe.

"Her scent is old, something is wrong. You've pushed her away for good!" he had been whining non-stop that entire week. And while Atlas had been content and a little bit hopeful she had finally moved out, her absence at the restaurant was another red flag.

"I can't smell her here either," Rufias pressed in his mind. But Atlas ignored him as he stared at Chelsea.

"Ruby hasn't been here in days. She's been a no call, no show. Like all week." Chelsea bit her lip. "I probably shouldn't have told you that."

Warning bells rang inside Atlas, but he tried to squish it down. Across from him, Brody looked at him sharply.

"Huh. Is that like her?"

"I don't know. She'd only been here for what, two months? Who's to say this isn't normal. Anyway, what can I get you to eat?"

Atlas suddenly didn't have an appetite.

He ordered something, acted cool, but the moment Chelsea was gone, he was standing up. "Where are you going?" Brody hissed out, standing as well. "We just ordered food."

Atlas was shaking his head. Where was he going? Wasn't this his dream come true? She was gone for good. His obnoxious, annoying little mate was gone. Had packed up, quit her jobs, and left town. He would never have to hear her annoying little voice begging him to reconsider. He would never have to stare into her gorgeous eyes, or see her wide infectious smile ever again.

"She's ours, and she's in trouble!" Rufias snarled. "What are you waiting for? This is it, our one chance at love, and you're ruining it!"

Atlas snarled right back. "She's human, and we aren't keeping her! If she can't fight her way out of whatever trouble she's in, she doesn't deserve us!"

"No, you don't deserve her!" Rufias flung back at him. Atlas had never heard his wolf so angry before. He thought he knew all of the ins and outs of his inner wolf, but this was a new side to him. Rufias and Atlas had always been on the same page since day one.

And yet, little Ruby Crowell was wedging herself in-between the two of them. Atlas bit off a curse as he sat back down, hands digging into the table.

"Listen to me, Atlas. We get through this meal, we act like normal citizens, and then you can go all alpha and find her. But do not make a scene. We've worked too hard on settling down here for you to ruin it-"

"I'm not going to find her," Atlas interrupted. "I'm not keeping her. We've been over this. She's not mine."

Brody just stared at Atlas. He shouldn't have been surprised, but he was. Because when it came down to it, Ruby belonged with them. Brody felt it in his bones every time he was in her presence. She didn't just belong to Atlas; she belonged to the whole pack.

"She's one of us, Atlas. If you won't find her, I will."

"The hell you will!"

Chelsea dropped off their plates, an uneasy smile gracing her lips. "Here you both go. Is everything alright?"

"Will you bring the check?" Was all Atlas could force out.

As soon as Chelsea was out of earshot, Brody was back on Atlas. "You may deny her all you want, but she's our Luna. I'm not going to sit back and let you get her killed because of your damn pride."