CHAPTER ELEVEN

R A Y A N✓

KADUNA, NIGERIA

Today was the day. The sun had barely risen, yet I was wide awake, my heart pounding with a mix of excitement and nervous energy. Today, the restaurant would open its doors for the first time, and I couldn’t help but feel a profound sense of gratitude for this opportunity. This moment was a culmination of years of dreaming, planning, and relentless hard work.

I stood in the middle of the restaurant, taking in the meticulously set tables, the gleaming kitchen, and the welcoming ambiance we had worked so hard to create. I felt a lump in my throat as I thought about everyone who had supported me along the way, from my Nameer, Khadija and to the dedicated team who believed in this vision.

"Hey, Rayan!" a familiar voice called out, breaking my reverie. I turned to see Nameer, striding towards me, a wide grin on his face. "Today's the big day, man. You ready?"

"I am nervous, but I know I can overcome it, after all this has been a dream and it has finally come true," I replied, smiling. "Thanks for being here, Nameer. I couldn't have done this without you."

"Of course, man. You've got this," Nameer said, clapping me on the back. "Everything looks amazing. You're going to knock their socks off."

Just then, the door opened, and Khadija walked in with her parents. She was beautifully dressed in a blush pink floral material gown and a white turban was expertly tied on her head. Ama, approached me with a kind smile, her well wish for me evidently displayed in her eyes.

"Rayan, we are so proud of you," she said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "May Allah bless this endeavor and grant you success."

"Thank you so much, Ama," I replied, feeling a surge of warmth. Her support meant a lot to me.

"Congratulations, Rayan. Yusuf most be very proud of you. Allah ya jikan shi da rahma." Bappa said, and we all responded with ameen.

Imran bounded in after them, his eyes wide with excitement. "Ya Rayan, I can't wait to try all the food! This place looks awesome!"

I laughed, ruffling his hair. "Just make sure you leave some for the other guests, okay?" I joked.

As Khadija set up her equipment to film the opening, I pulled out my phone and sent a message to my mother. I had begged her to come and support me, hoping she would tag along with Intisar. But so far, she hadn't replied.

Hey Mom, just checking if you're coming today. It would mean a lot to me. Please let me know.

I put my phone back in my pocket, trying not to let my disappointment show. Today was about celebrating the culmination of hard work and dreams. I couldn't let anything dampen that.

Soon, the guests began to arrive. The restaurant filled with the hum of conversations and the clinking of glasses. Among the guests, I spotted Intisar walking in with a group of her friends. They looked every bit the spoiled brats I remembered from our last encounter, their designer clothes and haughty expressions setting them apart.

Intisar sauntered up to me, her eyes scanning the restaurant critically. "Well, Rayan, you've certainly outdone yourself," she said, a hint of sarcasm in her voice. "These are my friends, by the way. I hope there's a table for us."

"Of course, Intisar," I replied, forcing a smile. "Make yourself comfortable."

One of her friends, who had been looking at me with no shame and spoke in a fake baby voice. "Hi, I'm Shahida," she said, extending her hand. "I've heard so much about you, Rayan. It's impressive what you've accomplished here."