CHAPTER FOURTEEN

R A Y A N✓

KADUNA, NIGERIA

The days after the grand opening were quieter than I expected. The initial rush of adrenaline had faded, leaving a lingering sense of satisfaction and a few nagging concerns. The restaurant had opened to rave reviews, but my mother's absence was a shadow over the celebration.

I sat alone in my office, staring at a framed picture of us from years ago. We both looked happy, but that happiness seemed like a distant memory now. I couldn't help but wonder what had gone wrong and why she couldn't be here to support me.

I dressed quickly, trying to shake off the lingering disappointment. I needed to focus on the future and keep the momentum going. As I walked into the kitchen, the aroma of fresh bread and brewing coffee greeted me. The staff was already hard at work, and their dedication fueled my own.

"Good morning, everyone," I greeted, smiling at their cheerful faces. "Let's have a quick meeting before we start the day."

We gathered around a table, discussing the feedback from the opening night. There were praises for the food and ambiance, but also some constructive criticism about the wait times and seating arrangements. I took note of everything, determined to address each point.

Just as we were wrapping up, I noticed Intisar standing at the entrance, her expression as icy as ever. I excused myself and walked over to her, trying to keep my tone neutral.

"Intisar, what brings you here?" I asked, bracing myself for whatever she had to say.

"Can't even ask me how settling in Kaduna has been for me," she said, rolling her eyes.

I sucked in air to avoid shouting at her. One thing that I hate is rolling of eyes, but Intisar seems to have an award in 'eyes rolling'.

"What do you mean settling in?" I asked. "Weren't you here for the restaurant opening only?"

"Oops! I guess Mama didn't tell you. We have relocated here, but Mama and Abba (my stepdad) are yet to come," she said.

I froze for two minutes, before finally processing what she said. "How? When was this decision made? How did Mama agree?" I kept asking her questions after questions because I was confused.

"If you want your answer, ask your mother. That is all I can say."

"Okay," I gave up because I knew Intisar was not going to answer my questions even if I was to die, trust me.

She glanced around the restaurant with a critical eye. "I just wanted to see for myself what all the fuss is about. And honestly, I'm not impressed."

Her words stung, but I kept my composure. "Is there something specific you're unhappy with?"

She crossed her arms, her gaze hardening. "Yes, Khadija. I saw her yesterday, laughing and talking with you like she belongs here. It's disrespectful."

I took a deep breath, trying to keep my temper in check. "Khadija is a valuable part of this team. She's worked hard to make this opening a success."

Intisar scoffed. "She's nothing but a distraction. You should be focusing on your family and your business, not her."

"Intisar, Khadija's contributions are significant, and her support has been invaluable," I said firmly. "This restaurant wouldn't be where it is without her help."

Intisar's eyes narrowed. "You always had a soft spot for bitches, didn't you? Always trying to save everyone but yourself."

I clenched my jaw, trying to remain calm. "This isn't about saving anyone. It's about running a successful business and respecting the people who help make it possible."