Chapter 16

Akana POV

I was freed two months ago. I shuffled uneasily in my seat, the weavering silence allowing my mind to drift.

"Hey Akana, you doing okay?" Suguru curiously leaned in towards me, tracing my attention to the nature surrounding us. The raven locks caressed his bare arms with the light breeze.

I woke up as a different person a week ago. I couldn't stay awake for more than a couple hours at a time. And, I had forgotten almost about Nanako and Mimiko, I didn't seen them for long time and I don't want them to think that I'm abandoned them alone in the old shrine as I worried in my mind.

But, at this moment where we were both alone with no other in sight, he felt closer than he's ever felt. Easing his heart to stay and wait patiently until I got better. "We can go over the notes some other day."

However, The second year had missed close to a month of training and instruction. Thankfully, Yaga saw no problem with waiting until I was ready to return to class on my own. His only advisory was that I needed to catch up on the material with someone. Lessening the likeliness that I'd return to class clueless. And Suguru, being the kind person he was, happily volunteered to help me.

His kindness pushed him to join the effort in helping my recovery. The two second years peacefully sat near the forest within the schools barrier, ensuring their safety. As a study spot, we resided at a wooden picnic table that was barely used. The raven haired male found himself wanting to be as close to me as he possibly could. Which meant voluntarily sitting to my left on the same side of the bench.

I flinched suddenly, the small breakage of a stick in the distance triggering me. 

"Oh I'm sorry, what happened?" My gaze darted from the woods to the notebook splayed before me. The accompanying male sighed unhappily to himself and shook his loose hair that rested on his shoulders.

"I was asking if you were okay." Suguru's farther hand left the corner of a page in his notebook. Slowly, he extended it towards my resting arm. Their difference of temperature upon contact worried him, sending a wave of small bumps up his forearm. Lightly, he began to massage his warmth into the chill of my skin using the tips of his fingers.

"Yes, I"m feeling fine. It's just... pretty out today." His gaze followed my eyes, watching our sporadic movement from the bench table, the notebook laid atop it, and then finally lingering where his hand rested on my forearm.

"We can take a break if you'd like, I know it's not the most enticing material." Suguru slowed the movement of his fingertips, scared he was overloading my senses. His eyes traced down my body, reading the cursed energy I harvested. Nothing. Anywhere.

"Suguru, How are you feeling? " I quickly blurted out, stunning my boyfriend from his concentrated state. My eyes lifted from his limb that contacted me, to meet his softened brown eyes.

"I feel fine." Suguru instantly replied, lying without hesitation.

"Really? That's not a honest answer." My golden eyes deepened and intensified, making him feel as if he was being consumed by the ocean and sky within them. It was something he never knew I could do, and seeing it for the first time truly scared him.

"Akana, I'm being honest. It just feels a little weird, we haven't talked at all." 

My features suddenly softened and my eyes returned to their natural state. Melancholic feelings wafted from me, shaking something within me. 

"It's not like that, though. I've just missed you."

I softy says and my golden eyes left his and instead looked towards the neat writing of the notebook. " I missed you, too."