Chapter 9: Burden

The Swordsmith Village.

In the warm confinement of his abode, Muichiro gently ate his meal, staring off into space as he munched quietly.

*Knock Knock*

Muichiro snapped out of his daze and stood up with a soft sigh. He slid the door open to see none other than Zenitsu Agatsuma accompanied by Genya Shinazugawa.

Muichiro stared at them without a trace of emotion. "What do you want?"

Zenitsu nervously chuckled. "W-We need your-"

"I discovered a new ability today when I was training with that doll... everything looked transparent for a second... I was thinking maybe a Hashira like you would know a thing or two-"

"Who are you again?"

Zenitsu and Genya sweatdropped. 'He's totally clueless...!' The two thought simultaneously.

"Don't you remember me from earlier...? When you were acting like a jerk-"

"No." The pillar simply said before sliding the door shut.

The two boys stood outside the room in disbelief and confusion. Did that seriously happen? It seems they could not process what had happened.

Zenitsu gulped and reached out his hand to place multiple knocks on the sliding door.

To their surprise, Muichiro opened the door and stared at them blankly.

"Who are you?"

*THUD*

Zenitsu passed away.

Reason of death: Muichiro's weak memory.

A crow flew in the room through the open window.

"CAW CAW NEWS FROM UBUYASHIKI! CAW CAW!" The crow cried out.

Muichiro turned his head to the crow. "Master Ubuyashiki..." The boy said to himself before stepping towards the crow and leaning down.

"What news do you bring, little crow?" Muichiro asked calmly.

Zenitsu sat up, rubbing his head as he gazed at the crow, awaiting an answer.

"CAW CAW TANJIRO KAMADO IS ALIVE! CAW! HE IS TO BE HUNTED DOWN ALONGSIDE GIYU TOMIOKA AND SAKONJI UROKODAKI!" The crow shouted.

Muichiro winced at the loud cries of the crow.

Zenitsu widened his eyes. "Tanjiro... is alive...? No way..." Zenitsu muttered in shock.

Genya raised an eyebrow. "You look like you saw a ghost."

Zenitsu covered his mouth as tears slowly began to run down. "Tanjiro is alive... thank god..."

"Who the hell is Tanjiro?" Muichiro popped up.

-----

"We're under attack!" A swordsmith shouted out before getting slashed in the back.

All the swordsmiths screamed in terror as the attackers pursued them. These attackers were large demonic fishes. They were covered in rigid pink scales and had a pot on their backs.

*SLASH*

Another swordsmith plummeted to the ground as the crowd was screaming. A swordsmith pointed at the demonic fishes.

"These things have claws as sharp as blades...!" A swordsmith shouted while another swordsmith, held a sword, and charged at the demonic fishes. "We need to protect our village! Our chief!"

But he was quickly killed by one of the demons. The scene that was unfolding was absolutely devastating. People were getting murdered left and right, and it was chaotic.