Chapter Thirty

The air held a slight chill and smelled wholly of salt as the ship cut through the waves

The air held a slight chill and smelled wholly of salt as the ship cut through the waves. Darla exited the large cabin containing Viserys and Rhaemon's sleeping forms. Her feet were surprisingly steady under her for only her second time aboard a ship, carrying her up the stairs to the pavilion. Ser Rickard watched her for a moment before following suit.

Her dark eyes twinkled in delight at the intimate scene she had stumbled upon. The princess and her sworn protector stood improperly close, arms brushing against one another as they stared out at sea.

"Did sleep flee you as well this morning?" Rhaenyra asked her sworn protector.

"I needed to see you, Princess." The knight responded, his voice thick with admiration.

"I confess I had a similar desire."

Darla's eyes rolled at the flirtatious tone Rhaenyra spoke with. The princess's affections for the common-born knight had been obvious since the day she had chosen him to join the kingsguard. Darla leaned back against the ship's edge opposite the two, settling in to watch how the conversation played out.

Ser Rickard stopped at her side, watching the princess and her sworn protector for a moment. He twisted slightly to whisper to Darla, the cloth of his linen shirt brushing against her arm. "You don't suppose they-"

"Be quiet." Darla hissed, swatting at the knight's arm.

Criston turned slightly to better face the princess, still oblivious to his audience. "You have confided in me now and then over the years of our acquaintance. I feel, forgive me, that I know you a bit."

"You know more than a bit." Rhaenyra smiled, encouraging the older man to continue.

"I've heard you say so many times how you loathe the lot of your position, that you are to be married off at your father's whim with no thought given to the yearning of your own heart, and now the day comes. Ser Laenor is a good and decent man, but you did not choose him.  He was chosen for you."

"That's true."

"If there were another path, one that led to freedom, would you tread it?" Darla stifled her sigh of boredom. The affair was so predictable, that Darla was almost disappointed. "Rhaenyra, before I came here I was a knight in the Stormlands. I have deep knowledge of the port at Sunspear where I've seen the ships of Essos setting sail with their hulls full of oranges and cinnamon and I've always wished to see where they went."

"Are you asking for leave?"

"I'm asking you to come with me, away from all of this. From the burdens and indignities of your inheritance." Criston's words grew panicked and frenzied the longer he did not receive his desired response. "Let us leave it all behind and see the world together. Where we'll be nameless and free. Free to go where we like, to love as we like. In Essos you could marry me. A marriage for love, not for the crown."