Chapter Thirty-Three

Light streamed through sheer curtains, lighting up the room with the early day sun

Light streamed through sheer curtains, lighting up the room with the early day sun. Darla rested upon a settee in the solar. She had lost count of how many times she had used the same stitch, quickly sucking air through her nose as the needle pricked her finger yet again. Her features were stoic, determined to perfect the stitches in time for Helaena's nameday.

"How is that, Your Grace?" Talya asked, looking up at the queen from where she knelt on the ground.

Instead of answering her, Alicent turned to shoot a questioning look to Darla, the woman always craving reassurance and praise. "Darla?"

Darla stood to her feet, tossing the embroidery onto her seat. She moved to Alicent, brushing past Talya to wrap her arms around the queen's waist. She rested her chin on Alicent's shoulder, meeting the younger woman's gaze in the mirror's reflection.

"You look stunning," Darla praised, pressing a kiss to Alicent's bare shoulder. Her lips trailed up the slope of Alicent's neck, nipping at the delicate skin as she went. "Absolutely ravishing."

Alicent's head tilted back, granting Darla easier access. One of her hands fell to Darla's arm, bracing herself while the other cupped the back of Darla's head, threading fingers through dark tresses. A soft sigh of pleasure fell from Alicent's lips, honey brown eyes fluttering closed.

"'Shall I send Talya away?" Darla whispered, pressing her lips to the sensitive spot behind Alicent's ear. "So we might be alone."

Alicent's plush lips parted, eager to steal away and slip back to their bed. A knock at the door interrupted her, causing the two women to turn towards the doorway. Darla slowly slipped her arms away from Alicent, stepping back slightly as Rhaenyra, fresh from her childbearing bed, entered the room alongside her husband, Ser Laenor.

"Princess, we were not expecting you so soon after your labors." Darla lied, her voice was steeped with care yet there was no hint of softness in her gaze.

"Rhaenyra, you should be resting." Alicent chastised, faux concern dripping from her words.

"I have no doubt that you would prefer that, Your Grace." Rhaenyra replied, eyeing Darla.

"Please sit," Darla commanded, motioning to one of the settees. "You must rest."

"Tayla, fetch a cushion for the Princess." Alicent ordered, moving to stand beside Darla.

"There's no need." Rhaenyra dismissed the kindness, wishing to get the inspection over and return to her chambers.

"Nonsense," Alicent denied. "You have just given birth."

With the cushion placed, Laenor helped his wife into her seat. The corners of Darla's lips tugged upwards at the sound of Rhaenyra's pained groans.

"What happy news this morning." Viserys called as he entered his wife and mistress's solar, a beaming smile on his face.