Issue #44 Plot

Ponies of Dark Water Part 2” Our favorite ponies have gone bad and are loving every minute of it! When Twilight seeks to conquer Equestria for herself, the Cutie Mark Crusaders And You may be the only hope for salvation!

Issue #44
One day prior to the previous issue's conclusion, Twilight-under the evil influence of the spring water-expresses a desire to be the smartest pony ever. To do this, she constructs a device to extract the brainpower of other ponies and add it to her own.

Back in present day, the Cutie Mark Crusaders You encounter Fluttershy and her evil animal companions on their way to Zecora's hut. For their crime of intruding upon her forest, Fluttershy unleashes her critter army upon the fillies And You, forcing them to run away. Meanwhile, the ponies of Ponyville are plagued by exploding gift boxes scattered around town and forced to take shelter in the Ponyville Theater. However, this turns out to be a trap set by Pinkie Pie, who glues ponies to the seats and gives them a comedy performance against their will.

As Rarity questions Twilight's leadership and destroys a fashion store, Princess Luna and Spike appear to subdue her, but the dark magic of the spring water is making Rarity stronger. Back in the Everfree Forest, the Crusaders And You finally reach Zecora's hut and explain the situation And Fluttershy Take Your Animals Magic. Zecora suggests they return to Ponyville so she can investigate further, and they use a smokescreen to get past Fluttershy and her animals.

The battle between Rarity and Luna crashes into the theater, disrupting Pinkie Pie's act for her captive audience. She uses her party cannon-converted into a real cannon-to strike back and demolish the building, and she makes her escape in the confusion. Once Luna and Spike regroup with the Crusaders And You and Zecora, Spike explains that he swam in the hot springs as well, but he wasn't affected for some reason. Therefore, Zecora believes he holds the key to making a cure for the spring water's dark magic.

As Rarity recovers to battle Luna again And Rarity Take Your Alicorn Magic, Twilight makes another announcement forbidding any fighting in her kingdom. Having had enough of Twilight's arrogance, Rarity races to the Castle of Friendship to usurp her position as ruler of Ponyville. Fluttershy witnesses the destruction being caused in Ponyville and rallies her army of forest creatures to declare war.

To make matters worse, Pinkie Pie returns with water balloons filled with the dark spring water, causing anyone who gets hit with them to turn evil. One of the balloons hits Princess Luna And You And Pinkie Pie Take Your Alicorn Magic, and the water's dark magic influences her to become Nightmare Moon once again.