Social Status.

A Human. Classic. But of course, as Humans go, A wide amount of options and potential to go anyway you want. Be careful though, Humans are at the bottom of Gensokyo's Hierarchy, so unless you play your cards right, you might get killed for being reckless!

That being said there are 2 types of humans in Gensokyo as seen below:
A. Outsiders (Recommended for Beginners.)
B. Villagers (Experienced Players Only.)

Outsiders start off with no protection until they reach the village, but once they do, they receive some special perks and bonuses unique to them due to how valued outsiders knowledge can be, no matter how niche. It also gives you the freedom to explore other less human friendly places with less harsh consequences (SDM, Youkai Mountain, Former Hell, etc) as you don't have to worry about your reputation in the Village as much, if at all. Outsiders also have a unique advantage depending on the knowledge they had prior to entering Gensokyo (A Chef from the Outside World can introduce more foreign or Nanban Style Cuisines, A Football Player can popularize the sport. An Engineer or Doctor will have an easier time integrating with the Kappas at Genbu Ravine or the Lunarians at Eientei. A Teacher can have unique interactions with Keine. A religious expert on either Buddhism or Taoism will be heavily favored by the Myouren Temple or the Hermits in Senkai).

Villagers lose access to the high risk, high reward tempo set by an Outsider in exchange for legal personal security against youkai from birth, easier integration in the Village, accustomed to the language, culture, and above all rules of Gensokyo. Its history and even the Spellcard Rules will be laid bare upon you from childhood where outsiders would have to learn in their adulthood. Their disposition for a peaceful, spiritual, yet ignorant life rewards those that do nothing to violate the established warnings of Lady Hieda on the dangers of leaving the Village so hastely. This lifestyle punishes those that wish to violate Gensokyo's Balance such as learning Magic or becoming the Infamous Jinyou. Unlike Outsiders that don't integrate to the village, Villagers are punished harshly, often with Death unless they completely cut all ties they had with the Village beforehand. Reputation in the Village is crucial, especially if you choose to go down this darker path. A Villager usually comes with a Zakashi Warashi in their Home That they may or may not befriend growing up though, perhaps they might be the start of removing the wool on your eyes if you dare. Not recommended for a 1st time playthrough since you will be tasked with balancing your everyday activities whatever they are with the village life and all the problems that come with it, not to mention the glaring lack of options if you want to explore Gensokyo. Well?