Prologue

"Can I go with you?" Haeun asks, her eyes wide with hope.

Nabi paused, looking back at her sister. "I just need some time alone today, Haeun. Maybe next time, okay?"

"Promise?" 

"Promise," Nabi assured her, before walking out of the room. She left the house, making her way to the park that was not too far from her home.

When she arrived, she let out a breath. The familiar scenery never failed to make her feel calmer. She watched as children played with their friends, while their mothers watched from afar. The large trees stood to the side, acting as guardians along the sidewalks. Flowers bordered the path, adding color to the area. Roses, tulips, and daffodils bloomed all around the meadows. She took in the fresh air as she felt all the stress built up from the week melt away. 

Nearby, a large pond glistened under the evening sun, ducks gliding lazily along the river. Nabi walked over to the pond, sitting at the edge as she watched the sun set. As she rested, she couldn't help but feel as if she was being watched. Looking around her, she saw nothing unusual. Shrugging the feeling off, she continued gazing at the sky, attempting to relax. Time seemed to slow down, and shortly after she was able to truly leave all the worries from the day behind.

///

As it grew darker, Nabi remembered that she had to return home. She stood up and turned around, when a hand suddenly clapped over her mouth. Her eyes widened as she found herself face to face with an unknown man. Panic surged through her, and she felt her heart beat quicken. She attempted to shove him away, but his grip on her tightened and he pressed a wet cloth over her nose. As Nabi struggled against him, she felt her body weaken. Darkness crept into the sides of her vision as she fell to the ground. The man let go of her, then bent down to observe her with a chilling smirk.

"I've caught a beautiful butterfly."