CHAPTER TWO

WILLIAM AND ORION sat down together on the grass

WILLIAM AND ORION sat down together on the grass. After spending some time talking to Orion about who or what he was, William became more comfortable with him.

Orion had calmed him down, and stated a little speech about three wishes. The man smiled at him, assured him that everything would be okay, and tried his best to present himself as someone trustworthy. The man had a very comforting presence.

"So you're kind of like a genie?"

Orion huffed. "Genie's aren't real. I don't know why they get any wish-granting credit. The only Genie I know is my aunt, who is a star."

"Are you sure they aren't real? I mean, you literally erupted from the sky... practically anything is possible at this point."

He found it bizarre that there were others just like Orion. Was every star in the night sky a person? Were they all staring down at humans with amusement and intensity as they burned away? Were they all as perfectly sculpted as Orion was?

"Honestly, I'm just happy you came down here with clothes on."

"Oh, yeah... we had to start doing that a few months ago. People find us more...welcoming with this method."

William could second that. He knew that if a naked 6'2 man flew down from the night sky, he probably would have had an induced heart attack.

While William was thinking about this sudden opportunity, Orion's eyes scanned him from head to toe.

William needed to use his wishes carefully, but he also wanted to make sure that he didn't break a rule and miss this opportunity that had literally been handed to him by the universe. "So, I have three wishes? Can you repeat the rules again?"

Orion hummed in thought. "Three wishes, and once I'm no longer needed I will be sent back home. Of course, there are certain things you can't wish for....Like, you can't wish for me to harm any humans or animals, and you can't wish for me to force an individual to fall in love with you or basically anything that inhibits someone's free will and right to live."

William nodded in understanding. "Great, so If I said I wi–"

Orion suddenly clasped William's mouth with a large and muscular hand. He quickly retracted his arm in embarrassment as he murmured. "Sorry, but you also need to be careful. Even if you say "I wish" without the intention to make a wish, I'm forced to grant it. Make sure you think about it first since now you only have two wishes left."

"Thanks for stopping me," William smiled in appreciation. "I'm really going to need those two wishes."

William wished that he had more to work with, but being limited to two wishes just meant that he had to be more precise.

Orion glanced around awkwardly, his sudden uncomfortability causing William to asses him more carefully. When William noticed that something was clearly bothering him, his eyebrows rose.

"What's wrong?" William asked.

Orion cleared his throat. "So what's going on with you and your Italian boyfriend anyway?"

"You know what he looks like?"

"Yeah," Orion waved dismissively as he glared at the sky, "...you guys come star gazing almost every night. You're kind of the only ones in this area who do that, so you're pretty hard to miss."

William's face began to burn at the possibility of Orion observing every single one of their conversations.  He hadn't known Orion at all, but Orion probably already knew everything about him.

When Orion noticed that William didn't say anything, he continued. "So, you guys actually broke up? It's been... a while since you've been together."

It had been a while, and the more time that passed, the wider William's despair grew. It felt like losing Christian meat that he had lost a part of himself, and that the longer he went without him, the more he started to who he was.

William looked down at the grass, and he felt his eyes begin to burn again. Orion's neutral expression morphed into concern as he slid closer to William.

William covered his tear-stained face as he mumbled into his hands. "H-He broke up with me," William muttered, "He kept saying I didn't love him r-romantically. That I loved my research more than I loved him."

Orion wrapped his arms around him and held him tight. William couldn't help but notice how warm he was, but he figured it had to do with the fact that he was the embodiment of a star. Orion soothingly rubbed his back, and William eventually returned his hug.

When William felt better, he pulled away as he sniffled. "Sorry... thanks for the hug."

Orion smiled sadly, and when he spoke to William, his voice was soft. "You have nothing to be sorry about. It can be hard to watch someone you care about leave you so suddenly."

William stood up abruptly, causing Orion to look up at him in confusion. He gaped at William's chestnut brown hair  that looked more luscious up close than it did from afar. Everything about William seemed to be more beautiful the closer you were, almost like a painting at a museum. The closer you got, the more beautiful intricate details there were to admire.

"I have a plan," William said hoarsely, "—and I'm gonna need you to help me convince Christian to come back to me. You can stay with me while we're here, so let's head back home. I'll tell you about the plan in the morning."

As William began to lead the way, a large grin spread across Orion's face. Orion had never been so excited to be someone's star before.

 Orion had never been so excited to be someone's star before