Chapter 23 page 28

Splashing cold water on my face to try and sober up a bit, my phone goes off. Looking at it, it's a text in the group chat:

Leah: We will be leaving in about an hour, so get ready.

Replying with "k," I decided I'm going to be a decent teammate and go and wake up Jess and whoever. Walking out of the room, I see them still on the floor.

"Jess, you need to wake up."

Opening her eyes, she groans, "What time is it?"

Looking at my phone, "7:15. You need to get ready; we leave in an hour." She gets up and walks to her room. Walking back to mine, I get ready and pack my stuff up. I need to take it with me on the bus because I've got a taxi for about 30 minutes after the stuff we need to do.

Packing up my stuff, I pick up a bundle of clothes. A pair of green shorts was in that pile. It has the number 13. What goalkeeper was number 13? I know it wasn't Mary, so it's either Hannah or Ellie. Putting them in my bag to give to whoever they belong to, I walk out after making sure I got everything.

Walking down to where everyone is, I spot Ellen and her husband. She'll probably know something, hopefully. Walking up to them:

"Hey, Ellen, I've got a question for you."

She looks better than anyone of us here, seeing as her and her husband snuck off somewhere. I'd hope she would.

"Hey, kid. What's your question?"

Before I can answer, I'm given a pair of glasses.

"By any chance, do you know who was wearing number 13 and who had a pink flamingo pool float?"

The poor woman looks so confused.

"Hannah was wearing number 13, and I think Millie and Rachel had one. Why?"

What? Why were Hannah's shorts in my room? Wait, no, no, no. I wouldn't have. I mean, at this moment in time, it's the only explanation.

"I just couldn't remember if it was Ellie or Hannah who had number 13 on." Saying a very quick thank you, I rush over to Ella, Alesia, Beth, Viv, Millie, and Rachel. I must look pale as the first thing to leave Ella's mouth is:

"You better not be sick near me."

Alesia slaps her.

"No, no, I'm not sick, but I need to find Hannah to ask her something. And Millie, did you give me a pink flamingo pool float?"

Millie and Rachel burst out laughing at that.

"Yeah, it was about 4:30 when you came back downstairs. You were insisting on having a pool party, even though there's no pool here, so we gave you it to stop. It's from when we were at the other hotel."

Okay, so that means whoever it was was in my room between 4 and 4:30. Seeing Hannah walk into the room, I say my thanks and goodbyes to everyone as I rush over to Hannah.

"Hannah, we need to talk."

Looking at me weirdly, she nods. "Did you come to my room last night?"

Hannah looks puzzled for a moment before shaking her head.

"No, I didn't. Why? What's going on?"

Taking a deep breath, "Well, I woke up outside, and when I went in my room, I looked in the mirror. I had this—" I gesture to the hickey "—and I remember someone coming into my room just after I got in my room. The only thing that's not mine in the room is your shorts. If you didn't come to my room, then how did they end up there?"

———————————————————
Should I continue this or not ?