CHAPTET 15 |

The morning sun filtered through the floor-to-ceiling windows casting long shadows across the polished marble floor. He awoke with a start, the remnants of a restless night clinging to his thoughts. As he turned to reach for Maya, his hand brushed against the empty space beside him, the realization of her absence hitting him like a wave.

His gaze fell upon the crumpled piece of paper on the bedside table. With trembling hands, Luca unfolded it, reading Maya's farewell words through a blur of disbelief and anguish:

Luca,

I have to go. This is the only way. Please understand.

Maya

The words pierced Luca's heart like shards of glass. He had never imagined Maya would leave so abruptly, her departure leaving him with more questions than answers. Without a moment's hesitation, Luca sprang into action, his mind racing as he rushed to the airport.

The drive was a blur of honking horns and flashing lights, each passing second intensifying the ache in Luca's chest. He navigated through traffic with a singular purpose, desperate to catch Maya before her flight to London departed.

Arriving at the airport, Luca sprinted through the bustling terminal, scanning the departure boards with frantic urgency. But when he reached the gate for Maya's flight, his worst fears were confirmed—the plane had already departed.

Heart pounding, Luca leaned against the wall for support, the weight of Maya's absence crashing down on him. He closed his eyes, trying to steady his breathing amidst the cacophony of announcements and echoing footsteps.

For weeks after Maya's departure, Luca was consumed by a relentless determination to find her, to make amends for whatever had driven her away. He hired private investigators, tracked leads across continents, but each trail grew colder with time. Maya had vanished without a trace, leaving Luca to grapple with the emptiness she had left behind.

Years passed, and Luca underwent a profound transformation. The shadows of his past as a ruthless mafia leader faded into distant memory as he focused on rebuilding his empire with integrity and purpose. He channeled his formidable ambition into philanthropic endeavors, using his wealth and influence to create positive change in the world.

As the CEO of a multinational corporation and one of the world's wealthiest individuals, Luca's name became synonymous with innovation and compassion. He established charitable foundations, funded research initiatives, and championed causes that resonated with his newfound sense of responsibility.

Yet, amidst his success and acclaim, Luca never forgot Maya. Her absence lingered like an unspoken promise, a silent reminder of the woman who had seen through his defenses and touched his soul in ways he had never thought possible.

One evening, as Luca stood on the terrace of his sprawling estate, overlooking the glittering city skyline, a sense of peace settled over him. The scars of his past had healed, replaced by a profound gratitude for the second chance life had granted him.

And as he gazed at the stars twinkling overhead, Luca whispered into the quiet night, his voice tinged with a mixture of longing and determination, "Wherever you are, Maya, I'll find you. You can't run away from me."

Anger simmered beneath Luca's calm exterior, the realization dawning upon him that Maya had left because of something she had done, something involving evidence against him. His mind raced with unanswered questions, wondering how Maya could have kept such a secret from him, and why she had chosen to leave rather than face the truth together.

As the years passed, Luca's resolve to find Maya remained steadfast. He poured resources into every lead, determined to uncover the truth and seek forgiveness. Yet, despite his efforts, Maya remained elusive, leaving Luca with only memories and the weight of unfinished business.