24. Playing the cupid

Music Recommendation: 'Touch Me' by Pritam, KK, Alisha Chinai, and Sameer (From 'Dhoom 2').

Shakti's life was supposed to focus solely on her university studies. She promised herself that she wouldn't cheat on her academics with her bizarre life problems. But here she was, barely providing time for studies, and pondering about the events that took place in another fortnight in this not-your-typical university, Quantum Potente.

Her biology textbook was opened on her table and her square glasses pushed up her head, but she paid no heed to any of this. The lamp illuminated her face, which seemed quizzical. Her roommates were in their respective beds. Myra was sleeping with her lips parted, her mathematics book scattered over the bed, and her mathematical instruments and notebooks. She dozed off while practicing some sums on trigonometry with futile attempts. Shakti couldn't blame her though. Math is a subject that is the most interesting when understandable and a nightmare when all the information flies six feet over your head.

Jade was nicely tucked in the bed as she knew she was not a night owl and would eventually fall asleep if she forced herself to study. Besides, she was not given much homework for the week so she had the privilege to relax. And here was Shakti, the doofus who committed the mistake of taking both biology and mathematics as her science major.

Shakti's thoughts wandered miles away from the 'Atomic Structure' she was supposed to study, to the blackhole named Rian Peterson who was sucking her thoughts and her focus. And how could she forget Cian Houston? Those two were occupying her personal space more than she wanted them to. One was adamant about being the friend 'she needed but didn't know'. And the other one, the Trouble, was hellbent on injecting his nefarious presence right into her nerves, her veins.

She barely stabilized her unholy imagination after witnessing Rian putting a show of his toned body and intricate tattoos by ignoring his presence as much as possible. But you know what they say? The more you try to escape the more your devil will chase you. And the next thing she knew, she was seeing him almost everywhere. After the classes, in the cafeteria, outside the girl's dormitory, in the hallways. At one point she was afraid that he would pop inside the washroom during her daily humane activities. She often questioned herself if she was hallucinating about him or not, but the prick ensured that she knew that he was there. He would often smirk or wink at her.

Whenever Shakti saw Rian, her thoughts took questionable paths. When she discussed this with Jade and Myra, they both had polar opposite reactions. While Jade seemed confused and doubtful of her brother's weird persistence, as it was unlike him and asked her to be careful, Myra grinned and spoke in a mysterious tone, "Antarctica is melting due to global warming."

Jade and Shakti exchanged glances and looked at Myra with a 'Are you serious?' look. Myra shrugged and grinned like the Devil at Shakti's displeased look and Jade's exasperation. She was enjoying the situation more than she was supposed to.

Though Shakti was pissed and wary of his queer tendencies, she couldn't help but be secretly relieved at Rian's well-being after the forest incident. Being a Homo potens, he was blessed with excellent healing abilities and was almost healed a week after the mishap. It took Shakti an hour to explain the details to Jade and Myra, who were close to hyperventilation. Okay, that might be a stretch, but the point is clear. Those two cared a lot for her, making Shakti feel more joyous than she let them know.

Though Jade and Rian argued like typical siblings, that day Shakti saw the bond between them as Jade left to visit her brother with a deep frown and look of panic, muttering about complaining to their parents about her brother's recklessness. Shakti felt a bit guilty inside but Jade assured her it was not her fault and scolded her to blame herself.