38. ECHOES OF MYSTERY

Vrit
(Two years ago)

I closed the laptop in frustration and rubbed my eyes. Not a single trace.

I had hit a dead end again.

I sighed as I got up to fetch some water.

It was almost evening, and I needed to get to Samaira's art exhibition. I hadn't been able to message her or even call; these days were busier than I had expected.

I came to this city with the sole purpose of uncovering the truth.

This cybersecurity consulting startup was just an excuse so I could investigate the questions that had been haunting me for years.

When the opportunity struck after completing my studies, I grabbed it, under the pretense that I didn't want any position in the Singhania company and would rather start my own.

And Hridhaan Bhai being Bhai, he doubted it at first. But after convincing him that I was really serious, he let me go.

He was a workaholic, so he didn't really need me much, and the perks of having a rich background meant my trust funds were enough to give me the backup I needed.

I gulped down cold water, quenching my thirst.

Little did he know, he was funding the firm, and all his money was going towards uncovering the secrets he had kept hidden.

Hridhaan bhai was a man with tough love. With Father being emotionally absent these past years, he was the one who made the Singhania name what it is today, along with all the responsibilities and secrets he carried.

I definitely believed there were secrets, and that was the very reason I was here, in this city.

Secrets about us, our family, and that surname-especially that surname.

I didn't know when the doubts crept in, but I was ten when I first questioned how far from normal our family really was.

Even though we were rich, we didn't have a media presence or attend events like my other friends' families did.

My mother died when I was just five, and then my father married another woman much later. Still, it wasn't even close to normal.

Dadi mostly kept to herself, and my father grew more distant as the years passed. The only person who I remembered truly taking care of us was my elder brother.

Hridhaan Bhai looked after both me and Arhaan. He didn't like others interfering in his room, but he let us spend time with him after Mom died.

Everyone changed for the worse after she passed, but Bhai changed the most.

Even today, I see that haunted look in his eyes.

He cares about his family-he cares the most.

He was, the one who'd tell the servants to make food for Dadi when she refused to eat, he'd blackmail her into eating.